2024 Hacking Thread

Still hot, so I didn't want to ask too much of Harvey. On Thursday and Friday we just had an hour out hacking with a little canter on the bridleway, and then back for a nice cooling spray off with the hose.
Saturday was a quick play in the school
Sunday was a fun ride with K. We booked an 11:30 start to try and avoid the worst of the heat and it wasn't too bad. The course was 9 miles with lots of jumps to do (we only did about 10 as the horses aren't mega fit and it was hot). Lots of canters but with good spaces to cool off between. I *just* managed to get off the car park with the wheels scrabbling for grip and I saw on FB later several people did get stuck (they had a tractor on standby). Sadly the official phot wasn't very good so no pics...

The only pic I took all weekend!
i-Hc24k28-XL.jpg

Hacking
15 miles
4 hours

Schooling
20 minutes

Totals
Hacking
299 miles
90 hours 15

Schooling
2 hour 40

Reactions: Tir
Out behind my pair of coloured ears for a solo sunny after work ride. He was on the same page as me and we had a lovely wander.....which included browsing the cow parsley too!20240515_174434.jpg

Reactions: Jessey
I was looking forward to a hack today, got the saddle out, heavens opened, put it back again. šŸ˜‚

When we got down the moors I noticed eight loose horses. Things were about to get hairy.
One youngster decided to canter over and get up close and personal in the cob's face - they have no etiquette when it comes to strange horses do they!!
She squeeled while I attempt to keep us going and shoo him out of the way at the same time. Now we are being followed by two more and when he continues to be in her personal space walk, she does a big loud annoyed squeal with a buck and they leave.
She does at least warn incomers to leave us alone first! That will probably be the one and only time he comes over that close. I think it's the one who has circled us in the past.

We ended up getting caught in a thunderstorm and she was fine albeit wanting to walk quicker. Perfect as so was I since we were getting soaked.

Then I got back and nearly crapped myself as I realised I had forgotten to put the rope on the bridle, so she was only on the halter.
I never lead on the roads with just that.

collage-1715870806681.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
Popped out, she headed over to the right fork. That's fine we will do the route in the reverse then.
Farrier due in two weeks the boots are getting harder to get on. I might need to change to a four week cycle for the spring and summer.

collage-1716043513145.jpg

Reactions: Tir
Saturday morning long hacking today. Weird weather though, humid and overcast but still really warm!

Went out over the farm land today, typically thats gone from bog to rock hard over night.

Very pretty ride though.

20240518_111015.jpg20240518_105217.jpgIMG-20240518-WA0010.jpg

Reactions: Jessey
Is that clayey soil @Tir? I remember growing up in the Chilterns that the fields would be a morass one week and cracked like cement the next!
Sadly yes! Most of it around here is. If you can keep a decent grass coverage on it its mostly fine, but where there isnt its exactly like that!

We are lucky enough to have the sandy, gravely forestry not too far away which is pretty much always nice, but full of walkers/cyclists/offroad bikes/paintball people and anything else you could imagine on the nice weekends! Not that the horses care much about any of the above, but it does make having a good canter a bit difficult.

Bonus pic of my super cute baby horse just because i think he is lovely.20240514_160813.jpg

I am very jealous of some of the hacking you lot have. I want to get AJ a bit further afield but we have to go on roads to get anywhere and the tractors are pretty active just now. I may just have to brave it and see how he is.

I took him down the lane again today, all the way to the far end, and he coped well. Touched some scary objects and walked past a lorry trailer in a straight line with a little persuasion. He's very forward (anxious I guess), his jog is super comfortable but sadly I am instructed to only let him go at the pace I set šŸ˜‚

Here we are at the top of the lane, hoping to see a car go by. Good practice at standing still anyway. We did see two cars eventually and he was fine.

1000022283.jpg

When we got back he seemed a bit footy on our road planings drive so I got off and he was fine. I will need to condition his feet slowly though, I am really hoping to keep him barefoot. That lane we go up and down on is quite gravelly and sandy in places, it's only smooth like that at the far end as it's a car park there.

I am very jealous of some of the hacking you lot have. I want to get AJ a bit further afield but we have to go on roads to get anywhere and the tractors are pretty active just now. I may just have to brave it and see how he is.

I took him down the lane again today, all the way to the far end, and he coped well. Touched some scary objects and walked past a lorry trailer in a straight line with a little persuasion. He's very forward (anxious I guess), his jog is super comfortable but sadly I am instructed to only let him go at the pace I set šŸ˜‚

Here we are at the top of the lane, hoping to see a car go by. Good practice at standing still anyway. We did see two cars eventually and he was fine.

View attachment 123148

When we got back he seemed a bit footy on our road planings drive so I got off and he was fine. I will need to condition his feet slowly though, I am really hoping to keep him barefoot. That lane we go up and down on is quite gravelly and sandy in places, it's only smooth like that at the far end as it's a car park there.
It's the surface around here that caused us issues with her hooves.
She used to get boots if I did more than four miles.

Have you done the Google earth explore of your area. I discovered little paths that way that enabled me to miss out a junction if I wanted to. We had a big scare there first time and she did a runner up the road. Took me a while to deal with that again.

If i get a quiet morning will post a pic/vid of the 60mph road i have to ride down to get to most of my lovely hacking! One way involves riding over a dual carriage way bridge.

My horses are all super, really, really super, with traffic of just about any type.

I'm lucky that Sid is a rockstar with pretty much ever sort of traffic we've ever encountered. The only thing he really hasn't liked was an open-backed dumper truck full of stinking rubbish. I didn't like it either! He still went past it, though.

We are working hard on exposing Sonne to as much traffic as we can but it's hard when you live on a fairly quiet lane. When I'm back on board we will go down to the village and stand on the cricket pitch (well, beside it) to watch the buses and lorries.

Best atv again the other day. With sheep and cows everywhere and hay fields too long we are slightly restricted as to where to ride. I don't want to go on the roads with him clattering about so farmer opened this field so went in. It is very steep up and down, through some woods, over a little stream etc. I think this sort of ground is invaluable for horses to be ridden in. He was delighted! Of course I spent most of the time saying "no we are not allowed to trot yet". Couple of times I wasn't sure he could get down a steep bit but the reaction was "pfft course I can". I did let him do is own thing up a very steep bit but he did stop at the top again and was only a few strides. It should all be green tho young man! He got us back to the normal gate, bottom left, but it was closed. He worked it out himself that he had to go to the gate we had come in, that gate is never open and we have never gone through it, it was out of sight. Clever boy šŸ˜
Screenshot_20240520-121614.png

• Love
Reactions: Jane&Ziggy
Mine sees a lot of traffic and then startles when a pigeon takes off. She's not a fan of the cement mixer.

One of the habits she has if we are on the bottom road, is needing to look at the traffic on the middle road. If we are over there, needing to look on the bottom road!
I think from her viewpoint though they look like they are floating on the horizon and just catch her attention. (every time)

newrider.com