2021 veggies

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Who’s growing veggies this year? What have you got going on?

I went with a no dig plan, cardboard, covered with slices of straw, then barrow loads of well rotted muck. This is mostly because our soil is so awful and the straw base is meant to retain a lot of moisture so reduce the need for watering and as it rots it will fertilise the veggies 🤞

My early crop taters are coming along well, my main crop just started poking their heads up, I’ve only just had to water them after several weeks with hardly a drop of rain. I just put in my seedling red onions, leeks and spring onions tonight, slight fail on those I forgot to label what was what 😝 broccoli is also starting to come up 🤞

I missed the seed potatoes boat. So weve brought a pack or two of supermarket spuds and just chitting them now. We literally finished last week the potatoes we grew last year. Not bad going. Think we were self sufficient in spuds for 9 months.

I ordered some posti plug busy lizzies, strawberry plants and tomatoes threw the post from a reputable seed merchant. Very disappointing all have come at different times over the weeks and nearly all have died. Geraniums arrived this week they dont look very healthy either. Not ordered like that before, wont do it again.

Ive got runner beans, mange toute, courgettes, radish, beetroot and some onions to plant.

We put the muck on the plots a few weeks ago and covered it in black plastic to stop the weeds. I need to get the rotavator out and rotavate it in soon to get planting.

Reactions: Jessey
Oo I was going to give beetroot a try this year, and I need to order some more courgette seeds though I let a few fruits rot in situ last year so might find those self seed, I’m putting them in a different place this year tho.
I keep debating doing tomatoes, I’d have to do them at home for enough water, my garden faces west and is only narrow so there isn’t much sunny space and a run away bamboo has taken most of the good fence line ....decisions decisions

I love growing veggies. I currently have loads of stuff indoors as I'm waiting for the nights to get warmer so everything doesn't die. I have tomatoes, chillis, courgettes, sweetcorn, green beans, purple beans and sunflowers all ready to plant out. Hopefully I will do this on Sunday as the nights are supposed to be warmer from then on. I also have potatoes and onions to plant which I am a bit late doing. I will also do peas and salad crops. I'm on a waiting list for an allotment so if and when I get that I'm going to grow much more.

• Love
We've been eating and freezing our Purple Sprouting Broccoli for 2 or 3 weeks now, it's delicious. The Kale is finished alas.

Broad beans and peas are in but very slow to get going because it's been so cold and dry. Ditto beetroot. The salad leaves are doing ok because it's so dry the slugs are staying in!

I love growing veggies. I currently have loads of stuff indoors as I'm waiting for the nights to get warmer so everything doesn't die.
I’m dreading looking at my onions this morning, planting and watering them in at dusk wasn’t the best plan, and of course we got an unexpected ground frost this morning 🤦‍♀️

I’m dreading looking at my onions this morning, planting and watering them in at dusk wasn’t the best plan, and of course we got an unexpected ground frost this morning 🤦‍♀️
I planted out some courgettes about 3 weeks ago when it was sunny and they all died so I'm waiting for the frosts to end. Apparently we have had the coldest April for 60 years.

I missed the seed potatoes boat. So weve brought a pack or two of supermarket spuds and just chitting them now. We literally finished last week the potatoes we grew last year. Not bad going. Think we were self sufficient in spuds for 9 months.

I ordered some posti plug busy lizzies, strawberry plants and tomatoes threw the post from a reputable seed merchant. Very disappointing all have come at different times over the weeks and nearly all have died. Geraniums arrived this week they dont look very healthy either. Not ordered like that before, wont do it again.

Ive got runner beans, mange toute, courgettes, radish, beetroot and some onions to plant.

We put the muck on the plots a few weeks ago and covered it in black plastic to stop the weeds. I need to get the rotavator out and rotavate it in soon to get planting.
Please tell me it wasn’t Sutton seeds you ordered from? I used them last year for a gift to my friend, never again is all I’m saying!

My new garden is tiny, I mean seriously tiny, but it’s south west facing and gets loads of sun, so I’ve got patio runner beans, garden Pearl tomatoes for hanging baskets a patio peach, a patio plum tree and my old step ladder with pots of herbs on the steps, the rest of the garden is full to bursting with herbaceous perennials, bulbs and small shrubs and I love it already, we even squeezed in a tiny water feature complete with mini fountain, cotton grass, iris and another plant I’ve completely forgotten the name of now, the local birds love coming down for a drink and a bath in it. Sorry got a bit off topic there.

• Love
Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
My new garden is tiny, I mean seriously tiny, but it’s south west facing and gets loads of sun, so I’ve got patio runner beans, garden Pearl tomatoes for hanging baskets a patio peach, a patio plum tree and my old step ladder with pots of herbs on the steps, the rest of the garden is full to bursting with herbaceous perennials, bulbs and small shrubs and I love it already, we even squeezed in a tiny water feature complete with mini fountain, cotton grass, iris and another plant I’ve completely forgotten the name of now, the local birds love coming down for a drink and a bath in it. Sorry got a bit off topic there.
Sounds fabulous, my garden is more of the gone wild type 🤪

Reactions: Kite_Rider
I planted out some courgettes about 3 weeks ago when it was sunny and they all died so I'm waiting for the frosts to end. Apparently we have had the coldest April for 60 years.
We had frosts well into may last year, I remember battling high 20’s in the day with frosty nights and my early potatoes not liking it at all

@Kite_Rider No it was Thompson and Morgan.
Oh that sounds like they are all as bad, I’ve had stuff from our old local nursery ‘Brookside nursery’ although I haven’t tried their Mail order service though, I can recommend ‘Crocus’ too who I’ve used many times and all their plants arrive healthy and well grown, not sure if they do veggies.

I really recommend organic plants.co.uk for veg plants. They produce mostly for the commercial market, but sell some collections of seedlings to private gardeners. You have to order early though.

I've also had great service and success with plants from eBay raised by individual small sellers. Often very creatively packaged and so far always in great conidition. You can often get what you want when all the big places have sold out, too.

newrider.com