1st show this weekend-any tips/advice??

Kadi

May 23, 2006
Norfolk/Suffolk border
:eek: My daughter is going to be doing some ridden showing classes with my boy this weekend.:eek:

We've never done any thing like this before, I rang up the organiser to see which classes she could suggest for Dandy and she came up with M & M ridden, and ridden coloured.

Dandy is welsh sec d 14.1hh and dun.

Have pasted link below to pics.

Would be really grateful for advice or tips to help get us through the day.

http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/...dy Lesson/?action=view&current=1169226620.pbw

xxx

1. Make a list of what you'll need, and make sure you've got it all ready the night before.
2. If you're unsure of anything, ask someone who looks like they know what they're doing.
3. Take a camera.
4. Make sure all your tack is spotless and in good condition.
5. Remember to breathe!
6. Make sure your daughter isn't under loads of pressure to win - fun is the main thing, particularly if you've not done many shows before.
7. Take a few bottles of water and some sandwiches - there will be a burger van at the show, but drinks are generally quite pricey, and you might not fancy a burger, so taking your own supplies is a good idea.
8. If your horse is prone to getting dirty legs, bandage them overnight to keep them clean, and use travel boots in the lorry. NB make sure the bandages are colour-fast - I recently heard of someone washing her grey horse and then bandaging with red bandages, and in the morning the horse had pink legs!
9. Leave far more time than you think is necessary for travelling and sorting yourself out once you get there.
10. Make sure the horse has a haynet in case you have to hang around for a while, as the show may well be running late.

Good luck!

Thanks for that Evilgiraffe!

Daughter certainly won't be under pressure to win, we're really doing it for the experience and to get Dandy out and about for a bit of fun , and if they get a rosette in the process thats a bonus.

You never know....I might get the Bug and have a go myself next time:D

Just don't want to get there and make total idiots of our selves.:eek:

xxx

wow what a stunner you must be very proud...

The first thing you need to remeber is that you are doing this to enjoy yourself so dont worry to much and just get out there and do your best.

I agree that organisation is a big part of your day, making sure your tack is spotless and although extremly hard make sure your boy stays clean.

Have a great time and let us know how it goes.

:)

You need to do something with his tail, it should be switched (left in a v-shape at the bottom) but it's already short so you'll have to be careful not to take too much off. It just looks more natural, they shouldn't have banged tails.

Another good thing would be to pull the straggly hairs out of his mane, just looks neater, but still natural.

He can't be shown with the bit guards or that numnah, if you want to use a numnah it needs to be close fitting to the saddle. The stirrup leathers would be better shortened so they don't stick out past the saddle flap, or left hanging rather than through the keepers. Being black there's quite a bit of a contrast with his coat and they do draw the eye. If you don't ever use a martingale, taking the keepers off the reins will look better.

A single plait (left long) behind the poll will show his head off, and make a convenient bridlepath.

Not sure who's riding, but in some of the photos they look to be pulling on his mouth slightly, which is moving the bit further back and making the bridle seem bigger and making him pin his ears back.

In the ring, unless there are any problems (like steering or mad cantering), let him go, and focus on keeping him going rather than worrying about looking pretty in an outline, which is an easy trap to fall into. It can also feel like you're cantering around the ring for an eternity, so it is easier to let the horse go at their own pace rather than trying to hold them together.

She needs to practise her individual show so it's completely memorised, but needs to be able to adapt it to the ring. It helps to watch the class before, just incase you have to do your show first, so you can see how other people make use of the available space/whether the judge is setting shows, and then you're going into the ring prepared.

There are lots of threads in here about turnout and shows for welsh D's, so those are worth reading.

Have fun, and bring back plenty of photos. ;)

I would do ridden m&m or equitation classes.And perhaps just stick to one class for now.They get bored hanging around in between classes.You need to wear a hacking jacket with shirt and tie.Beige joddies ans either joddy boots or long riding boots.Baby oil around his eyes and muzzle.whiskers trimmed,tail swished.A plain bridle or pref double bridle.Showing cane black hat and a big smile.Walk trot and canter on both reins and a nice halt.

newrider.com