1st show lead rein question

janet007

Jun 4, 2008
nr bromley Kent
dd 8 yrs want to take her new pony to a show to have a go at lead rein and whatever else she can do on the lead.
Pony is 12.2 skewbald with Black synthetic saddle and black bridle.
DD has black velvet skull cap cover, black jodhpurs boots, canary yellow jods and a blue tweed hacking jacket. White shirt under with purple striped tie and button hole?
So what do I wear? would black trousers and jodhpur style boots with a cream flowery shirt be ok or do I need a waistcoat or jacket. If so what colour?
We are going to have fun and it will be a local fun type show that we enter.

Any help or suggestions of colour combinations would be great.
Thanks in advance
Janet

Ps would a pic of pony help?

Oh and I've also got a brown trilby style hat but not sure if it's going to go with anything

Last edited:
Hi

check the lead rein class restriction heights as most Lead Rein classes around here are 122cm height for lead rein (ie 12hh), a 12.2 needs 128cm height

most judges around my way want a hat on the leader!

which is why my husband leads her in lead rein classes!!!!!!!!!

I don't do hats LOL

I'd wear a jacket and hat - but we have really fussy ole judges my way!

We did our first show on lead rein (pony we took was 11.1) in black tack, syntetic and got placed over matching yummy mummy and darling son - with all matching co-ordinating, etc etc - and we got placed above them - the judge said she'd rather see a well mannered child and pony with clean good fitting tack than a badly fitting, dirty saddle on a badly behaved pony with badly behaved child :D

have fun - and photo's must be posted :D

I do the local shows with my son and his 12.2 and we do all the lead rein classes and have great fun! Your tack/clothes sound fine for the local shows, but again, every judge is different... I did find that the 'pretty ponies' mums and riders did always get better placings. Rather than forking out a fortune I spent hours going around the charity shops and have a couple of great outfits (I have a red wool jacket, navy scarf, navy hat and navy cullottes.... total cost...£12!!) I have them reguarly dry cleaned so are immaculate and keep son/pony/tack immaculate ..... thats what counts. As long as you are all enjoying it with plenty of smiles you'll do well:)

As said in the previous post, a clean pony & rider who is clearly enjoying themselves are always an eyecatcher to a judge rather than the bratty ones who are there because mummy wants them to do it:rolleyes:

Have fun and good luck;)

newrider.com