1st Riding Lesson Coming up...eek!

banana85

Sep 3, 2007
Hi there. I'm new to this site. Coming across it though was what prompted me to book my first riding lesson in 10 years!

I'm joing the adult beginners class at acrecliffe. Does anyone have any hints. I'm worried about the smallest things i.e. Is there somewhere for me to park? Where do I go once I arrive??

Can anyone help with such matters?

xx

Hi and welcome!

Well done for booking your first lesson - I don't know the place so can't advise on layout etc. but I hope you enjoy the lesson and don't ache too much afterwards!

Let us know how you get on.

Yes, if you are nervous about the arrangments for parking etc and can spare the time, why not go and have a look round first? It is a good idea anyway to look round a yard before starting lessons there. You might even be able to chat to one of the other students.

Hi

When you get to Acrecliffe, go up the steep driveway and through a narrow gap between the house and some stables, you will see a massive car park then over to the left. Walk back through the gap, and there is the office on the left hand side. The office staff are really friendly! They will I'm sure, show you where to get a hat once you've signed the relevant forms.

I've only ridden at Acrecliffe a couple of times - I was preparing for my BHS Stage 1 exam there, and then took the exam itself there, however, I'm going to start going there for a few lessons in a couple of weeks while my horse is out of action.

They should introduce you to the horse, then get you to lead it to the arena, where they will show you how to get on, hold the reins, how to sit etc.

Don't forget to wear some jogging pants or something similar (not jeans!!), plus shoes with a small heel - the riding centre will provide the rest. Don't be afraid to ask questions, relax and smile!

Finally, you must post a full report of what happened! Enjoy!:D

I know what you mean about being nervous ... still, I'm sure you'll find it's all really easy when you get there. Either there'll be an office, that's easy to see or signposted or both, or there'll be someone around in the yard who'll tell you where it is. And someone's sure to get the horse for you and help you get on...

Oh, and ask where the loo is, even if you don't need it; it's always reassuring to know.

Enjoy it! And don't forget to come and tell us all about it:)

PS I see I've cross-posted with bexj who know the place and said pretty much the same things – obviously true, then!

Last edited:
Good luck with your first lesson :D

Would definately recommend going up to the yard for a nosey before your lesson if at all possible.

It's one thing less to worry about on the day then.

Let us know how it goes,

CM x

newrider.com