1st Ridden Show....yes, I entered a class!

Jan 10, 2003
Isle of Man
Penny and I were at the Ellan Vannin Native Pony Association Summer Show today (27th June) and we had a great day out! I took her on her own to see if she would behave better at a show...and this tactic seemed to work!

Piccys are on my website:

http://manxcolouredcobs.iomonline.co.im/1striddenshow

As soon as she was there she was calm, and only gave out the odd scream to passing horses, so out came the tack and I got changed into my posh gear hoping that I would be brave enough to enter a class!

As soon as we were in, she was just not concentrating...there was so many new sights and sounds she was noseying at the other rings, and was not with me at all, but at least there was no naughtiness! (I had already told the judge that it was my first show, and I had never done canter, so would rather not try it unless I was ready to!)

And guess what.....we got 2nd! Hurray, although I didn't care, I was just so chuft that I actually went in the show ring for the first time ever!

It was such an achievement for me, after all my work to overcome my confidence, and I am just so proud of myself and Penny, we just keep getting better every time!

Wow, well done! A second on your first time out, thats amazing. The pictures look great too, you both look really smart. Have you made any plans to do another one?

BRILLIANT!

You two are unstoppable! You both look great, very smart. Your jacket really goes with Pennys colour too.

What was the class you entered? Are you going to venture out again?:D

Thanks guys!

It was a coloured horse or pony class....and I'll let you in on a little secret....there wasn't that many in the class, but I was glad of that, as I wasn't worrying about the other horses!

I hope to do some more shows now that I have done my first, there is lots that I have to improve on, but alot of that will come when Penny starts to relax, and focuses on what I am telling her and not what is all around her!

The club was just lovely, they were so supportive knowing that it was my first ever show, and how nervous I was, they are holding a dressage day in July, and they will have a RDA test that I can complete and so I will be getting the test and working towards that!:D

Thanks everyone, and after all my hard work with regaining my confidence after my fall, I am just so pleased that I have made it here, and there is still a long way to go, but I am just so chuft!

It didn't help that a so called stable pal decided that 30 mins before my class as I was trying to settle myself, that this was the time to have a go at me, telling me how selfish I was, and that I was 'stupid' and 'silly' for being nervous, and that my whole problem over confidence was stupid, just get on and ride she told me. When I confronted her and asked her if she understood what I feel like, she said 'No' so I just let rip! Needless to say the show wasn't the best place to have an arguement, but I HATE people who think I am putting it on, and that you can just switch your head off and 'get on with it'! I know that her rant was through Jealousy and she is an imature 18 yr old, so I have no time for her.

After I calmed down, it actually gave me the agression and anger to get in that show ring, as I was ready to load Penny back in the trailer and go home. But I though...'No, you haven't beaten me girlie....'

Needless to say I am keeping my distance from so called Stable Pal, although it is hard as there is only 4 of us at the yard, but I know how much it means to me, and how hard I have worked. And I am still very nervous and just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean that people are 'silly' and 'stupid' - we are all different and I am glad to be me!

Sorry for the rant, I am just annoyed that she had a go at me, and someone out there may be able to sympathise with me!

Big round of applause for your first show :) Nice placing too!

Sorry for the rant, I am just annoyed that she had a go at me, and someone out there may be able to sympathise with me!

Oh yes! Recovering from a severe depression, in a conversation with a relative about the counseling I was going through, mentioned that one of the things I was addressing in the counseling was stress. "Stress??"--she shot back--"You don't have any stress in your life!"

Yes, yes, people can be really upsetting when they decide that you don't have a real problem, just because they don't understand your problem. Frustrating!

I'd never have gone off on someone with me at a show...I rather admire you for having the guts to stand up for yourself in that sort of stressful situation. I'd probably just have tensed up, clenched my jaw, and done whatever I was going to do anyway...which would make for some terrible riding, I am sure! Did letting it fly help you get a little less tense?

Galadriel, I think that half her problem is that she is only concerned with 'her world' and as she is immature doesn't understand that all adults have their own problems, we just don't go shouting them from the roof to get attention!

I think that the arguement actually made me more determined to get in the show ring and give them hell. After my initial reaction was to say we were going home, I calmed down, and then got back on. Initially I held it all in, very tense and only after I had just about heard enough I lost my rag and hit back...like you said, I think it relaxed me from focusing on the riding part.

Yes, yes, people can be really upsetting when they decide that you don't have a real problem, just because they don't understand your problem. Frustrating!

Horray...someone who understands....thank you Galadriel, you have hit it on the head!:D

I knew that I had freinds and people here who understood. Thanks;)

Yay, congrats!! I know the feeling of being in the show ring for the very first time! My first show ever was on June 13 (Only a few weeks ago, actually!) and though my best placing was 6th (out of seven) I was so proud to have won a ribbon and just the fact that I WAS showing, that it was soo enjoyable! (Plus with what little money my family has, I paid for it all with my part time minimum wage job. :D )

Hope there're more shows for you and Penny! You guys just look fab in the pics! :)

Well done Helen!

That is fantastic news! Both of you look brilliant in your piccies, and you are very strong to have got over your nerves (particularly after the not very helpful 'friend' speaking to you before the class).

When is the next show then?

bye!

PS is the rosette in the most central place on the sitting room wall yet?

Thanks Sarah!

You guessed correct about the Rosette...hubby was away over the show weekend on a golf tour...he brought home a trophy and placed it on the mantlepiece, so where else could my rosette go...yup...you guessed it, right next to it!

Keep looking at it now and smiling to myself!

My next show is hopefully a RDA dressage test on the 18th July, and then I will have a fun show in August & Sept, can't wait!:D

newrider.com