1st of June - question time thread

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I know I have done this before. But what question (however silly) would anyone like to ask? I will go first. I know there are some people on here that can answer - and have probably explained this before but sadly my memory is a bit pants.
What does it mean in relation to hunt rides - pr? Surely not public relations?! (no definitely not).
And I'm sure there are other abbreviations out there that elude me!
Anyway it is the first of June, so has summer begun for everyone? It is still spring here ! lol Though t shirts are beginning to be got out.

My other question is - and I know someone has probably already explained...........but, why do some owners prefer using a halter and not a headcollar? Do you leave it on in the field? Is this why? And why would you have more control?

The halter gives more control because its made of rope which has a smaller surface area and uses pressure points, unlike a wide flat head collar. They should never be left on, they can cause serious damage if they get caught on something, you shouldn't even travel in them really, if the horse were to slip and fall the injuries would be terrible before you could get to them.

The halter gives more control because its made of rope which has a smaller surface area and uses pressure points, unlike a wide flat head collar. They should never be left on, they can cause serious damage if they get caught on something, you shouldn't even travel in them really, if the horse were to slip and fall the injuries would be terrible before you could get to them.

Ah right thanks for that. That does makes sense now. Just one more thing - are they pre made? I noticed that they have lots of knots..................Do you alter them yourself to fit?

Ah right thanks for that. That does makes sense now. Just one more thing - are they pre made? I noticed that they have lots of knots..................Do you alter them yourself to fit?
You can buy them premade, or make your own (it's not as hard as it might look). They're easy to adjust the size of once you figure out which bit adjusts what (you have to feed the rope from the end to adjust the whole halter really) :)

Reactions: Trewsers
In a lot of my old horse books that my dad bought me second hand - (mostly early 80's ones) they look to be wearing rope halters and not head collars like I use.

Pre made Imo are mass produced with stiffer rope one size fits all. Shires did make them.

Mine is softer and I get them made when I fancy changing colours. I use for riding as you can do.

Reactions: Trewsers
I am using a halter on Eddie because it is for us a good training aid but he will never be tied up on it just trained in hand and led

I am liking it much more than a head collar

As they are prey animals they lose their sight pretty much being driven then?

A random thought as someone commented that mine is a cart horse, maybe so, but I sure wouldn't want to be sat in it!!! She needs to look at everything. I can keep her focus long enough to "school" her.

That's part of their education though, teaching them they don't need to look at everything and to trust that we will not put them in danger, much like teaching them that they don't need to panic when something is on their back (as they naturally would). I'm not saying they should never look at things, but it shouldn't be their main focus IMO. I guess blinkers are a short cut to that, having a cart 'chasing' them would be too much for some horses.

They do different types so some allow more vision than others.
For racing they have a style of the horse gets distracted. I think my shares have had these had some stage.

Rope halters are useful for groundwork and bitless riding, but I wouldn't use them at any other time. You aren't even meant to tie up in them, so they're not really much use for day-to-day stuff. They are super trendy these days though!

It is eternal summer in Thailand, but it's also rainy season, so not only is it very hot but the humidity is disgusting! Being outside is exhausting, even just a short walk saps your energy. I'm so happy I have got myself a scooter now because the 15-minute walk between home and school was wearing me out & now I am whizzing all over town on my scooter and don't even need to walk to the shops.

newrider.com