1st Lesson!

BornAgainRider

Feb 11, 2007
Didsbury, Manchester
Have posted this on starting out too... not sure which to do??

So today I had my first lesson in about 14 years! Have ridden quite a bit since then but on my friends horse... not ridden properly for about 9 years!

So the lesson went well, although I did feel a bit daft at first, didnt know what to go, didnt know anyone so stood about like a lemon for a while.. dont you just hate that! I was given a lovely horse called Cassie who was lovely but a tad lazy.. I felt quite stupid a lot of the time because she just kept stopping and it was hard work keeping her going.. had to use the crop quite a few times. Im glad im being told what to do and properly aswell which is always better than just going out hacking not really in control!

So we did different manouvres over the hour constantly trotting (my god I forgot how tiring it is) I managed to do pretty much everything although I did kick her into a canter one time and was told off cos I didnt realise we were only cantering one at a time.. I never did get my turn!

All in all I loved it, felt a bit stupid and my foot kept going through the stirrup which was doing my head in, im squeezing to much with my knees apparantly and really struggled to stop this - any tips?

Well done for getting started again, and you are right proper tuition will pay dividends in the long run.

I bet your next lesson will be better, I used to have one good one, one not so good etc etc.... was the same when I was learning to drive...

Good Luck

I think whilst learning anything, you will have some really good lessons, and some where nothing goes right and you will be convinced that you will never ride! Be patient, and remember, it's a very fine line between trying your best, and trying too hard.

ps. I'm learning to play the 5 string bluegrass banjo, and you should hear my attempts in some of my lessons!

So it's the same whatever you are learning.

newrider.com