1st Lesson report!

BornAgainRider

Feb 11, 2007
Didsbury, Manchester
So today I had my first lesson in about 14 years! Have ridden quite a bit since then but on my friends horse... not ridden properly for about 9 years!

So the lesson went well, although I did feel a bit daft at first, didnt know what to go, didnt know anyone so stood about like a lemon for a while.. dont you just hate that! I was given a lovely horse called Cassie who was lovely but a tad lazy.. I felt quite stupid a lot of the time because she just kept stopping and it was hard work keeping her going.. had to use the crop quite a few times. Im glad im being told what to do and properly aswell which is always better than just going out hacking not really in control!

So we did different manouvres over the hour constantly trotting (my god I forgot how tiring it is) I managed to do pretty much everything although I did kick her into a canter one time and was told off cos I didnt realise we were only cantering one at a time.. :D I never did get my turn!

All in all I loved it, felt a bit stupid and my foot kept going through the stirrup which was doing my head in, im squeezing to much with my knees apparantly and really struggled to stop this - any tips?

awwwww it sounds like you had a great time...is your face like this??:D :D :D :D
too bad you didn't get your turn to canter...when is your next lesson?

Well definitely no expert but have had both these problems and no doubt have not perfected it yet.

On the strirrup front it was because my leg was too far forward - a problem I am working on and it is helping.

I was told the knee thing was me gripping to hold on and being tense which in fact was making the horse go faster! So I have been making a conscious effort to relax my knee.

You have to concentrate on just letting your legs 'wrap around the horse' with your weight in your heel. Losing stirrups is caused by tensing your legs, but if you try the 'wrapping around' you'll find it easier to keep your seat deep and to keep your stirrup.

newrider.com