1st hacking solo attempt

jodiana

Feb 15, 2012
I am a nervous wreck when it comes to hacking, but I decided that this year will be the one that I will overcome my fears, so decided to walk out solo, I told myself if my mare was difficult to catch I wouldn't go, she walked right at me and came in from the field (dam it) I then told myself well if she don't stand still at the mounting block I won't go, she stood patiently and calm (dam it) so off I went, I sang and repeatedly said these words (keep calm & carry on) I got nervous when a few horses where galloping around & calling to my mare I didn't go too far from there sight as it's also her first time solo although she behaved extremely well she sweated up quite a bit, and was quite speedy on way back one of the gates had closed so once I reached that I hoped off and walked her the rest of the way I'm so pleased maybe tomorrow a little further

The horses from the yard went nuts in the field galloping all over because we had left the yard they where constantly calling to her I tried to egnore it for as long as I could we reached our target goal so I was happy with that x

Reactions: Jessey
Awh this is fab! But stop looking for excuses! It sounds very negative. Try to calm your fears by instead breaking it down into manageable chunks. 'I'll just get her in from the field and give her a groom'. Then once you've done that and feel ok 'I'll just tack her up and seen how I feel' then 'I'll just take her to the mounting block.' 'I'll just get on and off' 'I'll just walk down this path a bit' and oh look at that, you've only gone out solo! I call it fooling myself, but setting tiny goals makes the ultimate goal of that session seem so much more manageable.

That's a great way of thinking thank you I will try and put that into place there is nothing more Id love but to hope one day I can go out and let her play the only person holding her back is me I have realised im very negative all the time but I'm beginning to see my flaws I recognise what Im doing and I will change it, the outcome is worth it

Reactions: Native Lover
Well done that is a massive achievement believe me.... going out alone is a huge deal because some horses don't like. I try to ignore the horses calling or horses galloping about...Just go a little bit further every time.

I used to say when we get to that rock we will turn back ...got to the rock then it would be go to the tree over there or the 3 lamp post tonight and push a little further each time....

I conquered my solo hacking fears last year and I had owned my pony for 4 years ( for me it was hacking solo down a main road that was scarey) even though my mare is bomb proof on the roads.

No need for me to add any advice to this as the replies above are what id give.BUT I do want to congratulate you!!
I understand completely where you are at.But keep going the way you are by taking baby steps.There may be a few blips along the way but ignore them and start again.
I used to do what FM said above.And i dont think anyone could honestly been as nervous as me! I dont say that lightly.I used to shake uncontrollably bringing horse in from field, tremble tacking up and simply just leading in and out from stable.And none of that was even about hacking out solo.I wont turn this into an essay but i pushed myself EXTREMELY slowly, It was my biggest dread to even ride alone let alone say hackout solo.
Moral of my long reply, if you had told me about four years ago that i would hack my highly strung (when alone) mare around a block 2 and half miles long past every obstacle solo and not even think about it I would never have believed it.Keep doing it and it just comes one day.Usually when you are trying to conquer fear of something else :rolleyes: If only i could apply this to my new found fear of jumping!!!
Keep going, you will get there!! And well done on today!

When I get nervous hacking, I set myself a target in the distance to walk to and when I am there I have a break and then set another one. This can be walking to the next telegraph pole, or counting 10 fence posts, or maybe walking to a particular tree. When I have got to my target I take the pressure off myself because I have achieved something - this normally makes me relaxed enough to do more.

Reactions: jodiana and Jessey
Couldn't go out today snow and yesterday terrential rain, it's forecast sunny tomorrow though and most of the snow has gone it's so hard battling nerves it gives me comfort & hope reading all your sucsess stories, I did manage to ride out one of my instructors horses today she lives a few miles away and wasnt hit as much as the snow, I wasn't nervous as much because I was in company but we went through the woods, on the roads and a steady canter another ride closer to my goal

Reactions: Jessey and squidsin
I haven't mastered cantering out hacking. The one time I tried, my mare got insanely over-excited and galloped off with me! I stopped her without incident but I don't like being out of control so have avoided open spaces and stuck to walk and trot since. I know I have to tackle this! I usually hack in a snaffle but I have a stronger bit for faster work that I've not put on her yet as we've stuck to roadwork (not that we've had much choice due to the horrible weather and mud.) There's always something isn't there?

Yep I will be pleased when weather changes trying to make the most of it when I can, i have a feeling my mare will be the same I hacked out once in company and we thought we would do a little trot bang straight into who hoo we galloping mode and then had a huge bucking tantrum that I said no erm yeah I will stick to walk just now ha ha x

Reactions: squidsin
Can you have someone walking and chatting with you to take your mind off it all. Get a friend to walk the dog. It will be one step to a solo horse hack, but having someone at your side if anything happens.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
I try too at weekends but I'm the only one who's able to ride at our yard during the weekday this is why I need to be brave and get out there Id love to go on a hack each morning great way to start the day it's just the weather stopping me at the moment rain/sleet/snow & wind grrr only 6 weeks left til it's officially spring yiphee

newrider.com