14.5 stone and shrinking. When will I be able to get on board?

gunner5125

Mar 16, 2008
ESSEX
Opinions please! I have already lost 2 stone through hypnosis (which I thoroughly recommend by the way) and am slowly heading towards where I want to be weight wise. I look after a couple of horses for someone and one is rideable. The owner says in can get on him now but I know I'll squish him so I've been long reining him to get us both a bit fitter and to get him ready to be ridden again when the time is right.
He is only 13.2 but is a chunky little irish thing. He's 6 and hasn't done much but I'm working on him on the long reins and building up his muscles and taking him out hacking this way too.
I am an experienced rider but rusty.
I'm 14.5 stone now, what should I aim for before I ride?

I find @Wally is greatly knowledgeable in this area :)

Well done on your weight loss and we would love to see some photos of the horses you look after :)

Without seeing him it's hard to say, but I think a big factor will be his saddle. Presumably being a chunky 13.2 he's going to have a fairly small saddle & you need to be able to fit in it without being pushed to the back. If it fits you both though I don't see a big problem in at least getting on & having a quiet walk, you'll soon feel if he's struggling.

I think it is great you are dropping weight, well done I know it is not easy.

I am 12 stone but would not get on a 13.2hh. Everyones opinion will differ but I think to ride a pony this size you shouldn't be much over 11 stone.

My little Haflinger Stallion was about 13.2hh, solid as a rock, leg at each corner, he carried me on endurance rides and out hunting and i was about 13 stone in those days, However, my Icelandics have charged about the place with me at 14.5 stone without blinking. If you are a balanced larger rider and the horse really is a robust type they you ought to be fine, But having said that some horses really don'y like a heavier rider, you have to ride the horse and judge honestly whether the horse is capable and enjoying the rides.

Reactions: gunner5125
Thanks guys, I will attempt to post some pics in a bit but I can't seem to do it from my phone. That's what I was thinking Mary poppins but people keep telling me I'm fine. There seems to be so much difference of opinion on it.
When I rode a friend's fit 14.1 Connie a few years ago I was pushing 13 stone and my friend thought I was mad for suggesting I was too heavy but plenty wouldn't dare let me ride something that size at my weight. I'm just annoyed with myself because I got down to under 11 stone a few years ago then put it all back on again.

My little Haflinger Stallion was about 13.2hh, solid as a rock, leg at each corner, he carried me on endurance rides and out hunting and i was about 13 stone in those days, However, my Icelandics have charged about the place with me at 14.5 stone without blinking. If you are a balanced larger rider and the horse really is a robust type they you ought to be fine, But having said that some horses really don'y like a heavier rider, you have to ride the horse and judge honestly whether the horse is capable and enjoying the rides.
Thanks wally. Little Oscar hasn't been ridden for such a long time. He was backed young then left so I really have no idea how he goes. I may give it a go a few laps round the school at walk and see how he gets on

Ditto above! my rosie is around the same height adnd built like a tank! I got on her to test ride her, I felt her very wobbly and unbalanced, my friend got on her who is very petite and probabley weighs half of me! and she said she felt very balanced and happy. Best thing to do I think as others say is to simply test ride her! I agree about saddles though Im having a nightmare finding one to fit her, that will take a adult as shes so short coupled!

The things about horses is that one can feel the difference in how they go if one loses a stone. And weight limits depend so much on what a horse is accustomed to carrying. As well as their age and current state of health.
May be you need to find some volunteers and try them on the pony? Gradually increasing the load. I dont think this is a question that can be answered on a forum

p.s Well done on the weight loss! Ive lost over half a stone since Ive got Rosie and really pleased! Long reining is great for burning of those calories!

Tho I should have added that I regularly rode the RS ponies when I weighed more than 9 stone and so do the RS staff.

1915212_10156595393585296_2689493317420531867_n.jpg

Reactions: Em 1 and Gimp
Just out of interest how tall are you?
I'm 5'6" and all boobs!!

Looks like he will laugh in the face of 14 stone
That's what I've been told Wally and he sure is a strong little beastie when he decides we wants to drag you off to the field in a hurry (we're working on the manners too!!). I think if he was mine I'd just do it but I worry more because he doesn't belong to me and I can't squish someone else's pony

Kia who isn't all that much of a heavyweight was tanking me around common ridings when I was 14.5st and had plenty of gas in the tank at the end.

He looks a nice sort :) all the best with him and very well Done on your weightloss

Congratulations on your weight loss. I have recently gone from 14.5 stone to 11.5 so I know how tough it can be. I personally would hold off a little longer he is fairly young and hasn't been in regular work to build up the muscle to carry a rider.
Plus longreining and just walking in general will really help with the weight loss.

Congratulations on your weight loss. I have recently gone from 14.5 stone to 11.5 so I know how tough it can be. I personally would hold off a little longer he is fairly young and hasn't been in regular work to build up the muscle to carry a rider.
Plus longreining and just walking in general will really help with the weight loss.
Thanks and well done you too!! It is sooo hard!! I did it with slimming world before but totally lost my motivation and couldn't get it back. The hypnosis is great for me. If I do decide to get on, it will literally be for a few minutes at walk, I certainly won't be doing anything any more drastic than that until I'm down to about 13 stone tops.

newrider.com