1/2 Arab- 1/2 Haflinger?

Now that I would have loved to see, I can only imagine what a super horse that was.
He was about 15.2 with the Suffolk temperament, with a hint of Haffy cheek, Halinger colour and style but with Suffolk arse. At a glance he looked like a giant Haflinger

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Got to say that my Haffy is an 'old' breed type, proper stocky and short coupled, with the true Haflinger old fashioned temperament too, she would go for miles if it weren't for my limitations, and there is a GB endurance team of Haflingers. I didn't want one because I had heard so many bad things about the breed, but have to say I couldn't ever wish for a better horse.

He was about 15.2 with the Suffolk temperament, with a hint of Haffy cheek, Halinger colour and style but with Suffolk arse. At a glance he looked like a giant Haflinger

Oh my he sounds fantastic! I used to ride a Suffolk punch as a girl, he was lovely.

@Laura_107, Beautiful horse. I would not have guessed his breeding though. I can see the Arab in the one where he is standing tied. I'll bet he would would be good in endurance.

@LindaAd, it was helpful. Strong minded says a lot. To me it means a combo of strong-willed and smart. I like them like that.

@Wally, I love my country but I couldn't agree with you more. I don't know how it is there but here many people only keep a horse for showing in a flat arena. They wouldn't dream of taking the horse out of the arena. Then they breed them for a certain exaggerated look and pay no attention to the actual hardiness or usability of the horse. They have created a bunch of delicate flowers that I have absolutely no use for. I will go out of my way to find a horse/ pony that does not have show horse breeding. I think the Haffies have been partly protected because they are still actually used for real work.

One example I personally know was a world grand champion Tennessee Walking Horse stallion with heaves which he passed to his offspring (and they passed to their offspring). He was considered extremely valuable and was popular as a breeding stallion. People were talking about building special stalls with filtered air for these weakened horses so they could continue reproducing them and making money. What?! Absolute insanity. There are examples like that in every breed I can think of. Its the reason I am trying to be so careful with my horse choice. @Wally, I know you didn't need your position validated, but this is a pet peeve of mine.

Reactions: Wally
I live in Austria, so we have lots of Haffis around. I have also met a couple of Haflinger X arabs - in fact they have had their own breeding register and stud book since the 1980s. The breed is called Hafloaraber in Austria.
I am not a big fan of them. Sometimes these horses combine the worst elements of the two breeds - they can be stubborn AND very spirited. And I just love the chunkiert "traditional" Hafis. Most "pure" Hafis have up to 25% of Arab blood anyway - in my opinion more is not doing the Hafi any favours.

Reactions: chev and Wally
I am going to be rude about the US now, They have ruined so many breeds, the American Shetland has no business using the name Shetland, and so many other breeds have been corrupted by the USA,

I'm afraid I have to be rude about what the US has done to Welsh riding ponies and Welsh Mountain ponies too. What were bred with substance and hardiness alongside refinement are being bred with colour and prettiness in mind. The American stud book for example has altered the colours permitted so that broken colours are allowed. They are like little mini Arabs already :(

Why do we do those things? I just do not know. I love to see a horse with substance. I have been looking at a lot of Arabian endurance horses lately. I really think we are getting that right. They are beautiful and still do what they were intended to do. Do you have an opinion about the endurance horses bred in America? When a horse can come to the end of a 100 mile race bright, alert and still offer to canter I think that is a good "real" horse with substance. Not just a pretty face.
I know I have a lot of respect for those horses and the people who are producing them.

I don't mean the Arabs bred for the show ring here. Show ring Arabs often can't be used for endurance because the dish in their face is so exaggerated and their noses so small that their breathing is restricted. Also their eyes are so large and bulging they are prone to injury. What the heck is the point of that? Ugh! Stop it already! They even messed up our own Morgan horse. The original Morgans had great substance and bone. A lot of the modern Morgans have lost that now.

Why do we do those things? I just do not know. I love to see a horse with substance. I have been looking at a lot of Arabian endurance horses lately. I really think we are getting that right. They are beautiful and still do what they were intended to do. Do you have an opinion about the endurance horses bred in America? When a horse can come to the end of a 100 mile race bright, alert and still offer to canter I think that is a good "real" horse with substance. Not just a pretty face.
I know I have a lot of respect for those horses and the people who are producing them.

I don't mean the Arabs bred for the show ring here. Show ring Arabs often can't be used for endurance because the dish in their face is so exaggerated and their noses so small that their breathing is restricted. Also their eyes are so large and bulging they are prone to injury. What the heck is the point of that? Ugh! Stop it already! They even messed up our own Morgan horse. The original Morgans had great substance and bone. A lot of the modern Morgans have lost that now.

Years ago, the Arab Endurance horses were real horses with bone substance and a good face with nasal cavities like air rams, Hardly dished at all, Massive well sprung barrels with heart and lung room, and a good height. That, to my mind is how an Arab ought to look, tough as old boots with with a touch of refinement. The extreme dished faces cannot hope to get any air into them, Spindly legs and so narrow there's no room for lungs.
It's like the show Labrador and the Working lab, poles apart.

Reactions: carthorse
They even messed up our own Morgan horse. The original Morgans had great substance and bone. A lot of the modern Morgans have lost that now.

That is such a damn shame! The original Justin Morgan horse was a popular stud because he was such a strong horse, such a phenomenal worker and such a good temperament. That's what they should breed for. I've always wished there were more Morgans in this country because I wanted one so much!

@Jane&Ziggy, There are still people keeping the old time foundation lines alive. They can still be found. I don't know if they would be competetive in the show ring against the hot, flashy highly bred type though. You can tell I don't care much about showing. I love getting on a horse and going somewhere and I love a horse who will do that for me.

@Wally, I have to stand up for the American endurance Arabian. I think you are saying the actual function of the horse is the most important thing and I completely agree. I think our endurance Arabs are still built well with the strong dense bone and good facial structure for breathing (without the extreme dish). If they weren't functional they couldn't race 100 miles in less than 24 hours or do multiple day endurance rides totaling 100's of miles. If the proof is in the function and usability of the horse, doesn't endurance riding itself prove the quality of the Arabs used in the sport.

Poorly bred horses can't hide in endurance riding. They will show themselves and be pulled for being unfit to compete. I hope I don't come across as being argumentative. I certainly don't mean to. I'm enjoying the discussion and learning a lot. When I have the opportunity to learn about horses from someone who knows more and has more experience than me I soak it up like a sponge.

When I was in Canada I rode an Arab X Morgan, and a more sane, kind easy going horse you couldn't find. But she had enough get up and go to be fun.
@USpony I think there are two branches of the Arab horse, the freaky show ring ones and the proper workmanlike ones. The endurance crowd know what they need and breed it.

I was in the show ring a few years ago and there was a Morgan from a well known British Morgan stud. He looked a very unsettled flighty beast of little substance, In fact it was not until I finished the class and studied the show catalogue did I realise it was supposed to be a Morgan Horse.

@Wally, the Arab x Morgan you rode in Canada sounds like my kind of horse. Kind and easy going, but forward and fun. Definitely the type I would go for. I agree with what you said about 2 branches of Arabs. To me, it is almost as if they are trying to become different breeds because the types are so different.

The more I learn about endurance, the more I love it. I have begun conditioning my pony for a 25 mile limited distance ride. Maybe he could eventually do a 50 miler but I think that may be pushing it. @Wally, do you think it is a possibility my little 12.1 pony could do 50 mile endurance ride someday? He will let me know if it is too much. I love reading about conditioning schedules and performance horse feeding and generally having fun being obsessive about it. I drool over the Arabs but for now I am having so much fun just learning everything I can do with my pony. The day will come.

There was a little Exmoor used to do the 100 mile Golden horseshoe, 13.2hh Haflingers did it all the time. If Shetlands can do 25 milers with ease I don't see why not.

Haflingers are still used by the Austrian Army. They are seriously strong and can cover long distances even on difficult terrain, such as the Alps. I see no problem at all with doing endurance on a smallish pony. They are often tougher than the big guys.

There are endurance rides at a national forest about 3 hours from where I live. You have given me the courage to believe Rusty really could be an endurance pony. I'm going to condition him to do a 50 miler. As I have begun his conditioning it is amazing to see him improve and develop. I have never been interested in showing so this will be the first time I have ever done anything with a horse instead of just riding around without a real purpose.

@Wally, an Exmoor doing a hundred miles is amazing to me. Makes me think mine doing a 50 isn't that big a deal. If he comes through the 50 miler well I may consider going farther.

@Silvia, I love everything about Haflingers. They are on the short list for when it is time for another horse.

I was an ultra-runner till very recently and my ultimate dream was 100 miles. I did an 80 mile 3 day stage race but in a 1 day event I never made it past 76 miles. (I just kept running out of time). I have done a few 50s though and I figure if I can run 50 miles so can my horse!! So one day we will go for it. @USpony you should start an endurance thread and post your progress! I'd love reading it and maybe get inspired again one day.

newrider.com