You know those lessons where you ride really badly...

Calluna

Oct 14, 2010
Leicestershire
... I've had one today. And it was really useful!

Usually bad lessons just get chucked on the experience scrapheap destined for, well, nothing. However, every now and then I find a disappointing performance in a lesson teaches me lots of things; my very inability to get it right points up exactly where I am going wrong so I have a specific hit list of areas to work on.

Obviously you need the super times too so you can try to replicate what went so well, but what do you think? What have you learned recently that inspired improved riding in you and was it out of a moment of brilliance or seized from the jaws of ugly disaster?

Well lately I have had a few rides where I have been almost glad to get off - but glad that I rode. This is because madam has had 8 weeks off and tho she is angelic most of the time, she's not a robot and does let me know what she thinks! It's empowering tho because although I didn't get off feeling altogether relaxed and in control I was glad that I had needed to use my skills (what bit I have!!) to communicate and also to "feel" my way into the situation. I guess to sum up I would say that it made me think about the ride and not just be a passenger.

Doing badly usually motivates me.

There is always a reason for it, and a good instructor will help you sort that issue out.

For me, I listen to what they have to say, and decide after whether I consider they are right, and to follow that advice or whether actually we are on a different page.

newrider.com