Yayyy I finally got it!

orbvalley

Jan 15, 2008
France, South
Lesson yesterday with a fully charged Cocaïne. I was trotting her round the school keeping her mind busy whilst she was trying to tank it round at full pelt. And all of a sudden......for no good reason......plop, over she went onto the bit and stayed there!!!!:eek::D I was so stunned I almost locked into that position frightened to move in case the magic disappeared! She rode like that for the full lesson (apart from when we cantered and jumped she decided to tank it and rise to 1m20cm over 80cm jumps)
I'm still stunned now and of course still beaming:D:D:D

I know that “DON’T MOVE!” Feeling when they go there! Haha I SO know that.

Well done! I hope you find it again next time too!

Reactions: orbvalley
Lovely feeling for sure - and I kind of think now you have cracked it the once it might well be that she logs it in her memory bank of having a very happy rider on board and produce that more and more readily when asked. I have to say I am not very strict with Dolly as we are only happy hackers and I feel she has done her bit one way or another ('scuse the pun!) but I do from time to time school her when out hacking just to remind her I am on board and in charge and how to do it all properly, and when she produces that on the bit floaty feeling I have a grin from ear to ear. the rest of the time I am ashamed to say we bumble about like two happy old bag ladies! :D

@Cortrasna - I do like your posts:D i.e. "two happy old bag ladies":D:D:D Just to put you in the picture if you're not already aware my pony is just rising 6 so she's not really safe to ride as an old bag lady:D:D But when she is I'll happily ride her like that and we can natter about old times together! I was reminded yesterday that she is a sports pony and boy does she fit the title well when she's on good form:eek:Thankfully I have a go pro own by my RI and on watching it back this morning I realised that I scared myself for no good reason - she is powerful but I didn't fall off, she didn't try to chuck me off and she came back to trot on the bit happily every time she'd let off steam.
Sorry all - thinking out loud there, but thanks for all your comments which are always appreciated wether negative or positive - they help me learn xxxx

Reactions: HaloHoney
Well done! Prj does on the but when it suits him, which isnt often but then he only puts effort in to schooling when it suits him too lol his attitude is "done this before.... Boring!"

Well done you! I wonder if by having plenty of energy & focusing on changes of rein and not tanking you inadvertently got her lifting her back & stepping under more so the front end fell into place? Whatever the cause you now know you can do it, and if you've done it once you can do it again :)

I truly don't know what I done differently @carthorse - apart from I have been riding her in a Howlett rein for the past 2 weeks or so to try to assist me in getting her on the bit, she had started pulling against the Howlett so we took it off and voila!!! Don't know if it was because of that or just because the wind was blowing the right way or what! But we've done it at last! I've been struggling for a good year and more on and off working on this:rolleyes: I'm just so so proud and happy that we can do it, wether I get it again tomorrow or not is another day another session but at least I know if all the cogs turn correctly we can get it:D:D:D

Reactions: sophie33
You should be proud & happy! In my experience increasing pressure tends to just increase resistance & then those tense muscles can't do what you want even if the horse is prepared to try, but taking pressure away will get the relaxation & roundness that leads to going on the bit. The important thing is you got it, maintained it & presumably praised her so much that she's in no doubt that it's what you want :)

newrider.com