Wound creams

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
Does anyone know of any good wound healing creams.
I've used sudocreme, antiseptic yellow fly cream, betnovate, blue spray.
Can't cover the wound and it keeps being licked so scabs come off and it bleeds. It's been six weeks and still not healed. So after ideas for things to try.

Don't know about any cream that would work better than those you've listed, but it strikes me the main problem is the licking. Could you rub washing up liquid or something else nasty tasting into the hair below & around the wound? Hopefully that would out him off licking and so give it a chance to heal.

Manuka Honey
Zinc and castor oil (can add some hibiscrub)
Wound spray plaster
You could mix tee tree oil into any Wound cream or normal cream, antiseptic and tastes very bitter.

Hydrogel's work great when you need something that will last a little longer, they use it on people after surgery, its a gel you smear on and it dries to a second skin type deal which is breathable and promotes healing. I buy either intrasite or nugel from our chemist, just tell them its for a pending camping trip and don't mention horses ;) My vet put me onto it more than 10 years ago. I think theres a horse specific version available but can't remember the name at the mo.

Purely by accident - as Dolly is a sweet itch horse and I was running out of ideas for products that actually helped her I found this - Primarily I was using it on any sore areas that she had rubbed raw and it is fantastic for that. she also tends to get summer sores (not quite mud fever) that plague her through the summer months that are made a zillion times worse by the flys constantly opening them up as fast as they heal over . As a shot in the dark I tried using Bite back sweet relief on them and hey presto - a cream than cleans them away very quickly and I now routinely rub a small quantity well in around her heels and lower fetlock area to keep the flys away. Magic stuff for sure :)
https://www.bitebackproducts.co.uk/horse/sweet-relief-cream

Green clay with essential oils is very helpful. When Ziggy's colic incision was slow to heal and he kept kicking it (yuk), the vet stuck an amazing foamy plaster over it which adhered all by itself, didn't bother him and stopped the dripping/oopozing.

Hydrogel's work great when you need something that will last a little longer, they use it on people after surgery, its a gel you smear on and it dries to a second skin type deal which is breathable and promotes healing. I buy either intrasite or nugel from our chemist, just tell them its for a pending camping trip and don't mention horses ;) My vet put me onto it more than 10 years ago. I think theres a horse specific version available but can't remember the name at the mo.

Yeah our vet used to give us intrasite gel - really good stuff.

Thanks for the recommendations. We rung the vets and they basically couldn't recommend anything other than what we'd tried.
I have just got a cream from the chemist that's supposed to be new and promote healing blah blah, apparently vets are using it. Cant remember the name. Giving that a go this week. If no improvement will try some of your suggestions.

Reactions: Jessey
What about a muzzle? They can still eat if turned it but could prevent the licking short term.

newrider.com