Would cleaning my horses bit in tootpaste do any harm??!!

sheltiegroomer

Dec 30, 2007
I've just cleaned my horses bit in some nice hot clean water and got a little carried away and rubbed toothpaste all into it...let it dry then washed it all off..Its come up ever so shiny and nice but now my OH- who's totally non horsey has scared me by asking if toothpaste is posionious to horses??!!:eek: Im sure well pretty sure its not ..I mean we put toothpaste onto youngsters bits to encourage them to take the bit... but this was colgate whitening toothpaste! doh!... Anyone know if normal human toothpaste is ok for horses?? Ive washed it all off in pretty hot water and dried it..Smells lovely and minty!.. Just after some reassurance my ponio isn't gonna get posioned by my cleaning skills!!???
Anyone!??
Having a very blonde dizzy day today!!!:D:D

Last edited:
Next time just bung it in the dishwasher (also works a treat for stirrup irons, stirrup treads and over reach boots). Only do this when hubby is out of the house!!!!

Anyone want to come over to my house for tea?:D

A wise friend of mine told me to put a bit of Colgate on a stubborn horse's bit to encourage him to open his mouth - always worked a treat, and he never collapsed from toothpaste poisoning! ;)

I think the whole flouride thing wont do any harm as humans, up a 10th of a horse in weight, use toothpaste twice a day with any terrible side affects so surely a animal of its size will no be affected from a taste every couple of weeks!

If in doubt use kiddy toothpaste ;)

Hehe!
I know this sounds abit wierd but the horses' dentist told us to brush Polly's teeth once a week!This is coz when we got her she had black teeth from licking this soil because she was malnourished!
We use a herbal toothpaste.I have put toothpaste on their bits before,they love it!

newrider.com