Worst Day of my life, my poor baby :(

simons-mum

Simon & Bob
Jan 30, 2008
Donegal, Eire
I lost my gorgeous bay gelding today, such a stupid, stupid thing to happen :(

We were walking along the road and a huge alsation with a huge bark suddenly appeared at the gate of a house we were passing, I didn't know there was a dog at that house! He's usually good with dogs but it surprised him and he stumbled and fell, the road was wet and he slid getting back up and his right leg came out from under him at an awkward angle . He made it a few steps then couldn't walk any further :(.

The Vet arrived within 5 minutes and checked him over declaring no broken bones or dislocated joints. She arrived at the conclusion that he probably fractured his pelvis and explained that it is not an unusual thing to happen to racehorses due to stress and with 6 weeks box rest he was capable of making a full recovery due to the fact that density of the muscle supports it enough for it too repair itself. She checked his heart-rate (normal) and gave him an injection for the pain. He was very shaky but we got him loaded in the box and got him home. We made a small space for him to be confined in as instructed and put him in cross ties so he wouldn't lie down. He seemed very lethargic at this point which I put down to the injection. I headed to a shop for some essentials and I while I was gone got a call from my brother to say he'd just died :(

I cried the whole way home and by the time I got there my dad had removed the ropes and he was lying down in the straw looking very peaceful. It's such a shock! I'd spent the whole time being calm and thinking on the spot and making plans, and preparing myself for a couple of months of hard work it never occurred to me he wouldn't make it. :eek:

My dad left a message for the vet to let her know and she rang back and said he must have ruptured a major artery, there wasn't a mark on him externally.

My poor, poor baby! RIP Simon :(

picture.php

picture.php

This last one was taken the last time I saw him alive :(

picture.php

Everything was done, that possibly could have been done to save him and I will be eternally grateful for the prompt arrival of the Vet, at least his pain was relieved somewhat in his last few hours.

newrider.com