working hunter help please!

orin

Jan 15, 2009
i am planning to take buffy to her first ridden show. we are going to be doing:

ridden 5yo
working hunter pony
ridden cob

what do i need to wear and does she need quarter marks etc?

she will be ridden in a hunter bridle with double reins and a dressage saddle is this ok?

What Buffy is wearing sounds fine - are you ok jumping in your dressage saddle? For WHP, you can get away with a saddle more suitable for jumping, although a straighter cut saddle is better for flat classes. You can quarter mark her - preferably do hunter style quarter marks, there is a post further down in this part of the forum which shows you how to make hunter style markings. She'll need to be plaited (mane only, pull her tail) and her feathers trimmed off.

You need to wear a tweed jacket, a navy blue riding hat (black will do if you have nothing else, but blue is more correct.), a cream shirt (put a couple of yellow Tesco value dusters in the washing machine with a white shirt if you don't have a cream one, and this will give you a lovely lemon yellow one), a gold/green/yellow tie (red sometimes works - experiment!) and either breeches or jods which are preferably lemon/canary yellow, although beige is absolutely fine too. You want either black leather riding boots if thats what you want to wear, or brown jod boots if you are under 18 or she is 14.2hh or under (sorry, not sure how old you are!). You'll also want brown gloves and a show cane, although you can get away with another stick for WHP if you need it!

ok thankyou. she is hogged so no need to plat her but her tail and legs are clipped out.

yeah im ok to jump in my dressage saddle just wasnt sure if i was allowed!! lol

thinki need to get shopping. is it ok to wear a navy showjacket if i dont have a tweed?

A navy one will be ok if you aren't going to be doing many shows - invest in a tweed if you are, but navy will be ok for now (and it is certainly better than black!).

for working hunter i wear this jacket
DSC00063.jpg

this stock
DSC00067.jpg

black leather gloves
whip (jumping only)
biege breeches
leather long riding boots
navy champion hat

thanks guys!!! its not until july but i want to make sure i have everyting!! im terrified lol

OOooo exciting. I am doing my first whp in july too, but have done some M&M PB showing before on my little pony. This is how we turned out for that

4167_1142226352563_1134571916_43213.jpg

This is also correct turn out for WHP, apart from the tack. Pony can wear black, for local type shows, but brown is more correct. We shall be using brown this time, now that I have got her a new brown hunter bridle.

This is what we wore in WHP two weeks ago.

Okay, so the little blighter should have been plaited, but I think we were quite nicely turned out here (someone loaned me their gloves at the last minute, which was kind, as I couldn't find mine anywhere)

3636290912_5895768791.jpg

I was just wondering about plaiting a mane on a native breed such as a Highland for WHP. Does it still have to be done or can it be left loose? Also we have a brown synthetic saddle but a brown leather bridle. Would that be ok?

I was just wondering about plaiting a mane on a native breed such as a Highland for WHP. Does it still have to be done or can it be left loose? Also we have a brown synthetic saddle but a brown leather bridle. Would that be ok?

I don't think that you have to plait a highland. Don't quote me as I may be wrong, but I think M&M's can be turned out as you would for an M&M class.
For local show's I should think a synthetic saddle would be ok. Is your bridle fairly plain??

I don't think that you have to plait a highland. Don't quote me as I may be wrong, but I think M&M's can be turned out as you would for an M&M class.
For local show's I should think a synthetic saddle would be ok. Is your bridle fairly plain??

Yes the bridle is plain. Here's a photo:

IMG_2949-1.jpg

What about the numnah? Would another colour be better? I will be wearing a navy velvet hat though so maybe it'd match?:confused:

Belle, your bride is perfect. I wouldn't use a coloured numnah though.
It should either match the saddle or the horse so I would think a plain brown one would be best, or if you can, don't use one at all.

Beautiful pony BTW. I love the highlands, especially the dun ones:)

You can't use a schooling whip in any showing class. Usually there is a rule that whips are not to exceed 30cm.

You can use a short crop (preferably in a discreet colour) or a cane. Jeffries do a lovely plaited leather whip, ideal for WH classes, at around the £25 mark if you want to splash out.

newrider.com