Winter Weigh In, Join In

I don't tape Ziggy regularly but he is looking good. There are definitely ribs in there and have been all summer, and he hasn't got his usual fat pads on the shoulders.

I should be safe feeding him hay in the winter!

Ah you see you didn't buy the ribless connie breed, lucky you!

@newforest you have managed her weight before so I'm sure you will get back on top of it again;). This year with all the rain has been so hard, the grass has been growing in abundance. Marley broke into the middle section again last night and stuffed himself with all the clover:mad: I am changing the battery to a fresh one today so hopefully that will keep him out.

I actually thought Ziggy was looking a little hippy the other night. I need to make sure he is not getting skinny and bony.

Alright no need to rub it in:p Seriously though well done for keeping his weight down. Mine is on a track but its a difficult balancing act with him because if he isn't getting enough he will get very grumpy and hangry..he isn't nice to be around..

Poor Ziggy is definitely hungry but he is always sweet with me, even though the horses are grumpy with each other.

ETA probably because he knows I can give him food!

Reactions: joellie
I can just see a hint of ribs so taped jess again and now at 511, she's not been rugged yet but has had extra grass though less hay for the last week, she's still leaving some of her little feed so she can't be that hungry! I think I can afford to start her back on some linseed again :)

Your post is interesting as if mine weighed that, she would be considered obese and have rolls of fat.
If she hits 500 she is classed as obese by the vet. Even though she is a big boned breed.

Your post is interesting as if mine weighed that, she would be considered obese and have rolls of fat.
If she hits 500 she is classed as obese by the vet. Even though she is a big boned breed.
Vets etc are always suprised by jess' weight, I have to warn them or the underdose her on drugs. When she showed 546kg on the weigh tape she was actually 602kg on scales, so she's probably still around the 550-560kg mark (she's 15.1hh), I wouldn't want her much slimmer, quarter horses tend to weigh more compared to another horse of similar stature due to their dense muscling.

Mine was 5kg out on the scales when I taped just before they weighed her in the past.
She actually weighs in at 490kg, they would like her to be about 465kg ish, she was in February looking back. But her coat makes her looks huge right now :)

Reactions: Jessey
When the vet did teeth in March she dosed her for just under 500kg as thats what she guesstimated her to be, she had to top her up, but said she was happy she wasn't fat at that weight.

Well I weighed Belle this morning 451kg! Oh well hopefully this winter will be colder and she'll actually drop some before spring, she's pretty much stayed that weight all summer so going into winter I can live with that - just.

Reactions: Jessey
@Kite_Rider this is the issue. We just dont get the cold winters anymore.
It's like a summers day out there, t shirt weather.
Clipping was the year she lost no weight, so not clipping.

@Kite_Rider my Marley is the same as your Belle 451 kg on the tape, I am expecting him to drop some over winter before spring. @newforest I am going to have to give marley a trace clip as he has been sweating a lot when being ridden, he has grown his winter coat but as you say it has been so mild. The other day I had just tacked him up and not even ridden yet and he was definitely sweating around the girth before I had even got on him!

I aim to ride earlier now, so she should sweat less.
She goes out and has a jolly good roll.

Ales not looking too bad I don't think, unless that is a fat pad on his shoulder!? I've just spied it in the pic.

He's weigh taping at about 430 and I can just about feel ribs. He's got no crest at all so I'm not too worried as he will possibly loose some if I don't rug him this winter! He's spent his winters previously spending 10 hours a day eating hay from a round bale, free access so he has always been huge in winter. Anything will be better than that! IMAG1137_1.jpg

Managed to get a photo. @Trewsers the cost of the spray paint these days to get her those shades ;) That's a joke in case anyone reads that in horror.

She is too big here, I need 35kg off approx.
We haven't moved to winter grazing, we have until November. Upped her work, vet said no to muzzling.PicsArt_10-12-06.26.58.jpg

newrider.com