Winter riding attire!

Also on very cold days I just ride bareback. It is SO much warmer than sitting in a feezing cold saddle, and harder work too!
I love riding bareback in the very cold days of winter, nothing beats a warm bum and legs, keeps me toasty :)

“ I have a vest top, a long sleeve top, jumper or hoody, jacket or fleece and then my coat and scarf and then bottom half, leggins, jeans then my fleece lined thick shires half chaps...”

Looking at your layers - some of the fabrics aren’t the best for warmth and also restrict your movement!
Jeans are awful at retaining heat and even the stretchy ones are restrictive.
I have a background of working on cold, wet mountains, so I wear many layers; as thin, as stretchy and as natural fibre as possible. And I really hate waterproof trousers as they make you so sweaty and restrict movement. Better to wear legwear that dries easily and is windproof when damp.
A big problem is being cold then too warm once you get going - and having cold feet.
So top half: Sports bra (very cosy), knitted thermal cotton/silk vest, thin soft long-sleeved top, thin merino wool or merino/cashmere cardigan or jumper, technical wool fleece jacket, down gilet, and either if raining a riding waterproof with long back panel that goes over the saddle to keep your bum dry or a lightweight primaloft jacket if very cold.
I wear the down gilet loads, even over a tshirt when it’s warmer - worth it’s weight in gold.
I wear thermal mountaineering gloves or cycling fingerless gloves (cheaper) and a snood or bandana. Scarves can get loose and be dangerous. I change to a warmer riding hat as well. Some folks wear fleece headbands too.
Bottom half: big soft knickers, sports leggings under and riding tights or fleecy jods over - nice and stretchy, technical mountaineering socks, leather half chaps.
I have some Perfeq riding tights which have big fleecy seat and knees pads inside them - lovely and warm.

Love riding when it’s cold, it always makes me think about all those celtic folks in their wool cloaks, with the horse keeping them warm :)

Reactions: Prjsmk
Haha well my feet get both cold AND smelly :p
Have you added in wool insoles. Those are warm.
I have two layers for socks, both cotton one standard angle and one long. If really cold I have longer wool.
Just treated myself to warmer wellies, least I hope they will be.

newrider.com