Winter is coming!!! Trying to save some damn money!

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
Well I am a tight arse when it comes to money.:D However not normally with sox :p He gets whatever he needs.
However for personal reasons I am needing to save money as a whole really. Trying to cut down ( ciggs) is going to be quite a challenge!!!:eek:
I don't want to skimp on things I really need. I wish I could get his feed bill down. But then trust me to get a big horse that needs much more calories then the 'normal' big horse!!:oops:
Our yard supplies hay and straw in with the bill. The hay is rye grass which for a lami prone I was worried... he is eating the grass and the hay is made at home.. But it doesn't matter as he isn't eating that hay anyway!!!:mad: He prefers the meadow hay, softer stuff. Also, his lordship is getting stressed out with a current stubborn abscess so is therefore losing weight!!:( So he is on haylage with hay... however he is only eating the damn haylage!!!:mad:
So I was thinking if I could give him either the adlib hay or adlib haylage. Its a £10 more if its the haylage. In the future if he is holding I could ever so slightly reduce his feed bill , slightly. Only if he is holding a decent weight etc. Just looking at ways to save money... I can bike to yard yet my tires are flat!!
Also... my insurance is through the roof and I really want to try to save some on that. With petplan, their bloody good. Most of the time. However his insurance is a lot more then I would like! On the bright side. I have finally decided that I shall be a qualified vet ( The vet often says I should be given sox ;) ) and we haven't seen a vet since his jabs...:D 2 months ago!:D

Hahaha the ciggies HAVE TO GO MISSUS!!!! Just think about all the wonderful extras you can treat his Lordship to!! Lol
As a reformed smoker of over twenty years I can say honestly, I couldn't for the life of me burn money on them now. And I don't miss them any more, well, maybe just on the odd drink infused occasion!

Reactions: lauren123
Some stuff you can save on by shopping round and changing brands. If you buy things like alfalfa chop, sugar beet or high fibre nuts then look at own brands as they're often exactly the same (read the labels) but a bit cheaper than names such as Dengie or Spillers. Likewise small bag haylage, just make sure you read the analysis. When things are on offer stock up if you can. Also look at how you feed - extra forage is without a doubt good, but sometimes isn't entirely cost effective plus it only works if they will eat enough so it may be more hard feed instead of extra hay or haylage would be more effective & economic.

Look at the bedding you use, would another type be cheaper? Straw still takes some beating on price though it s a bit more work.

You say he's losing weight because of an abscess, so that must be making him very sore. Has he seen a farrier to see if it can be dug out? Getting people in promptly can actually be a saving!

Insurance. It never hurts to ring round for quotes but be very careful to read the small print of the cover & also totally honest about his history - yes it will put the quote up, but if you don't you may find you have no cover when you need it. Also be realistic about his value, there's no point in insuring him for more than he's worth (history of health problems plus no competition record will mean his value is low) because it increases premiums & they wouldn't pay out anyway. Likewise don't pay extra for loss of use. Sadly insurance by companies with a good reputation isn't cheap.

Before buying anything like new rugs, boots, saddle cloths etc ask yourself "do we really NEED this?"!

Ciggies need to go, as Trewsers says it's just burning money. Every time you don't have on put the money in a jar - see how fast it adds up? Likewise think of how much you spend on nights out, I'm not saying turn into a social hermit but maybe think if you can do it more cheaply or slightly less often or at a cheaper place.

Reactions: lauren123
Big bale forage is always more cost effective than small bale, if you can use it before it spoils.

Maybe a chat with your YO if he won't eat the hay to see if you can not pay the hay price in winter if you won't be using his hay.

newrider.com