Who was it talking about pain?

HaloHoney

Apr 30, 2017
and noticing your horse was in pain?

I watched Flash being shod the other day, and he was genuinely in pain without all 4 of his shoes. He was rooted to the spot. Wouldn’t even move half a step forwards to get to a hay net (he stretched forwards, could just about touch the hay with his lips, and gave up). Ears out sideways. Jaw clenched so tightly shut he wouldn’t take a treat from my hand. :( I said to the farrier “he’s hurting. He’s actually in pain.” Farrier commented that his soles were low. I stood there and cuddled his face and he just put his whole head on my front and leaned into me.

I noticed him resting one of his hinds, and then picking one of his fronts up at the same time - effectively standing on 2 legs.

Farrier put his shoes back on- magic cure! An hour later he was back to his normal self.

I take it as a huge compliment that I’m clearly one of his “safe” places. And also that I understood he was in pain even though nobody else noticed. But his face was the same as when he came in with the leg fracture.

Here is his face from Thursday:

D0917628-0179-4D7B-B8D5-E879B9A57AD4.jpeg

And here is the face from Leg Fracture Day:
2606EB3A-A423-485A-A9A6-FB45A7578370.jpeg

Thanks for making me better at listening to my boy. :)

Reactions: Jessey
If he has really thin soles he would feel the ground.
I used to place a piece of carpet for my old tb to stand on without shoes when being shod. Farrier thought it was hilarious by being in discomfort isn't for me so it isn't for them either.

Reactions: HaloHoney
I used to place a piece of carpet for my old tb to stand on without shoes when being shod. Farrier thought it was hilarious by being in discomfort isn't for me so it isn't for them either.
That’s a really good idea! Thanks.

Now he’s on DIY it’ll always be me doing farrier visits. :)

I did similar & put an old heavyweight rug, folded in half, out for Jim. He had badly dropped soles due to sinking & rotating with laminitis & sometimes he wouldn't be happy stood without shoes. My farrier didn't laugh though & would be very careful & quick with him to minimize the time he was stood bare, often doing one foot at a time so he only had one shoe off. Might be worth asking your farrier to do that? Also I don't like to worry you but if he's that sore standing without his shoes I'd keep a very close eye on him & maybe consider some foot x-rays to see exactly what you're dealing with.

Reactions: Jessey and PePo
It's nice to see you're able to read him better.

I do have to echo @carthorse though - I'd be looking for the farrier to work with the vet for more investigations if he's in pain stood barefoot.

Reactions: HaloHoney
newrider.com