which teaching method do you rate and why?

sophie33

Aug 8, 2004
London
I am not trying to start any arguments here - just interested in what you all think. My share horse has gone on her annual holidays (a field in Essex for a month with her pal) and so I was thinking of doing some off horse studying and maybe having a lesson or two. Years ago I read Heather Moffett and Mary Wanless but I was such a beginner I am not sure they helped much. And then I decided that - as I'm too inclined to over think my riding anyway - I'd stop reading and concentrate on riding. Now however, I would like to try and become a bit less useless and improve my technique. I started reading Mary Wanless last night and remembered why I found her confusing last time. So please tell me who has helped you. I am an older novice who never rode as a child, I am inclined to be nervous and too tense (although I've definitely got a lot better).

Whatever method you and your horse gets on with.
There is no right way, just the way you both manage with.

I did go down the nh route, but ditched that with this one. I now have bog standard bhs lessons from a sympathetic instructor who can think outside the box. I get on with her, understand what I'm being taught, but more importantly know what I'm being taught. I see her sporadic, I know I don't want weekly lessons, nor does my horse :)

I cannot fathom Mary wanless, I have had lessons with Heather and Peter De Cosemo and they both teach the same things, or very similar anyway. It works well with the Icelandic Horses and it really improves their way of going.

Like you I devoured riding books and a fair bit went over my head to start with. The ones I have returned to are Sylvia Loch's Invisible Riding and The Classical Seat, Sally Swift's first book (can't remember the title sorry, but I know I haven't got the second one) and an old fashioned translation of a German book called Riding Logic by Willhelm Musseler.
However as Newforest says it is whatever speaks to you. Often people are simply using different images to describe essentially the same thing and you go with the ones you "get"
Happy reading!

ETA: It's Centred Riding Sally Swift's book...just remembered

Last edited:
I agree you need what fits for you and the horse your riding.
NO one person has a magic bullet for everyone and ALL HORSES.

I happen to get several horse training shows over here on RFD-TV

I really pick and choose what works from all of them.
Lots of times nothing applies but you get one little snipit that
looks like fun to try.
I am more of a western rider but Jeff is working with
Andi english so when I get on her after he works with her
I do ride her english.
I have to admit i do really like his dressage saddle it does put you in
a great position.

Reactions: Trewsers
My mare is on holiday too . . . bitter surprise but she hasnt had turn out for ages. So I too am considering some special lessons somewhere.
However I may just hack - Sophie, summer is the time for good hacking - you could go off and ride in some lovely places?

But as for books and videos:

Sally Swift - excellent on balance.
Mark Rashid excellent on horse human communication (both directions)
Carl Hester's early paperback on dressage - how to teach the horse and ride the test.
Maxwell - how to manage long lines, ropes and ground work.

Mary Wanless herself told me (elderly) and another lady (post injury) at a clinic that we didnt fit her basic physical requirements.Plus the tensioning of the body ( bearing down) is against the ideas that have governed my riding where one sits soft as possible.

My RI is Mary Wanless trained and she is great for me. She has also trained with an Australian horseman (I forget his name) who works in the Rashid style. She is great for me, just what I need, and Ziggy responds really well to her. But we are not doing dressage!

I love New Rider! So many good ideas - I am off to have a search on Amazon - thanks all (and good idea about hacking Skib - hope you mare enjoys her holidays).

I do not go for a style of teaching I gob for the teacher.

I have tried three at my current location each taught a different way. I went with the one that best fit ginger and i. The one that understood us and I under them

I do not go for a style of teaching I gob for the teacher.

I have tried three at my current location each taught a different way. I went with the one that best fit ginger and i. The one that understood us and I under them
I love what Peter De Cosemo Teaches, but you have to have rhino hide sometimes :D :D, Heather is a much more kind and encouraging teacher.
I remember Peter getting really short and shirty with a friend as she was not picking up his explanation of how to go about a more advanced move with her stallion, IN the end he said something like, "you are hopeless this is so easy it's simple, just get on with it" So she just started talking Icelandic to him and when he asked her what she was on about she said "It's Icelandic, It's simple, just get on with it" :D :D

For my dressage lessons, I have an instructor who is very strict, swears and shouts at me LOTS, and has high expectations. She has taken me right back to basics with my riding and basically taught me from scratch. If you had a define her by a 'type' she would probably fit under the classical dressage umbrella. She is fabulous and has increased my dressage marks by 10% in 6 months.

For jumping I go to a much more encouraging instructor who listens to me when I say that 70cm is too high! She has really given me the confidence to get Ben moving forwards and as a result we jump courses much better.

It's all down to finding someone who fits your personality and who you gain the most from. My current instructors are completely passionate about riding and they make me believe I can do anything if I work hard enough.

I remember Peter getting really short and shirty with a friend as she was not picking up his explanation of how to go about a more advanced move with her stallion, IN the end he said something like, "you are hopeless this is so easy it's simple, just get on with it" So she just started talking Icelandic to him and when he asked her what she was on about she said "It's Icelandic, It's simple, just get on with it" :D :D

LOL I bet he did not expect that!

I've only ever had lessons taught by bhs trained instructors - mainly aimed at beginners like myself, or lessons from someone unqualified as such, but with lots of riding experience. I used to enjoy reading about different teaching / riding styles when I subscribed to a couple of the monthly horse mags but must admit, a lot of it I didn't understand and would need to be shown hands on.

Reactions: sophie33
yes I agree with NF too. I have had regular lessons with a BHS II for about 8 or 9 years and I will continue to see him when I can, even though we are out of his area now. I trust him and he’s taught me on lots of different horses. At the moment I’m having fortnightly lessons with a classically trained dressage instructor and Im really loving them.

I read a lot and recently have joined a few online courses.

I like some of the stuff Mary Wanless teaches. Some of the techniques have really helped me with Peds and I feel I have a much more secure and soft position now.(a lot of people talk about positive tension in your riding. It being the difference between being so relaxed your sliding out of the saddle to having enough tension in your muscles to hold yourself in place)

I take bits and pieces from here there and everywhere and if it works for us, great, if not then I'll try something else.

I really like Natasha Althoff (aussie dressage rider who has a YouTube channel) I don't think she is the best rider. In my opinion she moves about too much in the saddle (She's still a squillion times better than me!) But I like the way she describes things. And her Monday motivations videos are great :)

Just watched a few of her films Cremola Foam - I agree she has a nice way of explaining things - of course now I want to get on a horse and try them out!

I couldn't get on with the Mary Wanless instructor I tried, not her personally just the concept I didn't 'get', the instructor I got most from was taught by Sylvia Loch and I loved her style. My current instructor has also taught me loads but she doesn't have any formal qualifications, so as others have said you do need to find what and who works for you and your horse. :)

newrider.com