which horses/pony can carry the most weight?

nuttytart85

Mar 14, 2009
staffs
hi i was just wondering how much weight various horses/ponys can carry?? i was told once that pony's like haflingers and icelandic pony's can carry upto 20 stone!!:eek::eek::eek::eek: i hope if any one is 20 stone that they do not ride any horse unless its an 18 hand shire, but again that is just my opinion, what is your opinion? i am 13 and a half stone :eek::eek: and ride a 15.2 heavy weight cob and a 16 hand cob, i have always got it in my head that i am too heavy for them both. opinions please :confused::confused:

I think it depends on more than one factor (which in this case would be weight). Personally, I think the condition and conformation of the horse comes into play, as does the height of the rider in connection with riding experience and ability.

I think you sound fine for your two. :)

You are going to get so many different answers for this, lets just say... its a good thing you can hide behind your PC screen... :eek:;)

I'm afraid someone with few posts to thier name like yourself,making a thread like this is going to be regarded with some suspicion,so be prepared.

The horses you mention should have no problem carrying you,and if they do well I'm in trouble then as I'm not much lighter than you and I ride a 14hh fell pony,oh well,he's certainly seemed lively enough yesterday when I rode him,so I'm guessing he's not struggling;):p

Highlands,dales,fells,fjords and icelandics are all known for their strength,but then there are many othet types that also seem fine carrying weight,so am not sure there are hard and fast rules about what particular breed or type can carry weight.

haha i know ahh, thank god!! :) well im about 5'7 size 14/16 :eek::eek::eek: and believe it or not my 15.2 seems to b more comfortable than my 16hh, i really would love 2 ride a haflinger or something a little smaller as i have always rode big cobs, i have read some where that arab's are weight carriers, and i also wonder what weight a shetland could carry, obviously not for me to ride! hehe :rolleyes::D

lol hey devonlass maybe if i lose a couple of stone id be able ride a fell:D, i think there gawjuss!! :)

Umm,I am not even close to a couple of stone lighter than you,although would like to be lol;) and I ride my fell with no problems.
My fell has carried at least a stone heavier than you and was also fine,and I don't just mean pottering about,I mean trotting and cantering,and even a little attempt at a jump,so really don't think he was bothered about the weight.

I think maybe you are under-estimating the weight carrying ability of some of our native types.You would be absolutely fine on a decent size and build fell as you are,no need to lose a couple of stone at all,or at least I hope not or I am in serious trouble riding him;)

Umm,I am not even close to a couple of stone lighter than you,although would like to be lol;) and I ride my fell with no problems.
My fell has carried at least a stone heavier than you and was also fine,and I don't just mean pottering about,I mean trotting and cantering,and even a little attempt at a jump,so really don't think he was bothered about the weight.

I think maybe you are under-estimating the weight carrying ability of some of our native types.You would be absolutely fine on a decent size and build fell as you are,no need to lose a couple of stone at all,or at least I hope not or I am in serious trouble riding him;)

:eek::eek: u cheeky mare! AT LEAST! :mad::mad::D

Hi!! :)
well i'm 5' short and 7st 10lbs :p i'm always paranoid about my weight as although i have a 14.1hh Welsh Sec B cross PBA who seems really happy carrying me, lots of people ask me to ride little ponies and i get worried about keeping my weight down so i can ride them (and i'm always worried about looking too big on them :p) but i have ridden huge Horsies and have been told you need to be a fair weight to actually control them :p lol, which i found was true when i used to ride a 15.2hh cob x tb when i was 12 and a lot shorter and only 5 and a half stone :p she used to bomb off with me all the time and there was no way i could stop her :p
And i've heard that Arabs are fairly good weight carriers over short distances/in light work but i dont think it would be fair to them to be quite heavy and doing like endurance/showjumping on them as they are, at the end of the day, (lovely :D) slim, finer-built animals - but that's my opinion :p lol
But i reckon you're just the right weight for your Horses nuttytart85 :D
xxxx

I once went on a trek at a Shire/Clydesdale centre and the woman refused to allow a beginner 20 stone man on her horses, replying sharply to his question why: "because I love my horses".

x

:eek::eek: u cheeky mare! AT LEAST! :mad::mad::D

I mentioned no names,and meant 'at least' in the sense of he could carry heavier than OP (ok so it also sounded more dramatic,but you know I have a flair for using 20 words when one will do;))

Besides I didn't say it was recently,so your new svelte figure doesn't have to be offended:).Not that your old figure needed to either,as was lovely also!!
Another besides,it's not like I am a lot lighter either is it lol,so you know I didn't mean it like that:D

*huggles*

I once went on a trek at a Shire/Clydesdale centre and the woman refused to allow a beginner 20 stone man on her horses, replying sharply to his question why: "because I love my horses".

x

I had a limit of 18 stone for my clydie mare,and even that I wouldn't have been happy for her to carry often.

The problem with heavy horses is that although they are weight carriers to an extent,they are at a disadvantage with having to carry their own bodyweight,which as you can imagine is quite a strain!! Add to that they were bred for pulling not riding,and it's *possible* they do not find carrying weight as easy as people think.

hi i was just wondering how much weight various horses/ponys can carry?? i was told once that pony's like haflingers and icelandic pony's can carry upto 20 stone!!:eek::eek::eek::eek: i hope if any one is 20 stone that they do not ride any horse unless its an 18 hand shire, but again that is just my opinion, what is your opinion? i am 13 and a half stone :eek::eek: and ride a 15.2 heavy weight cob and a 16 hand cob, i have always got it in my head that i am too heavy for them both. opinions please :confused::confused:

well here i go i was untill a couple of mounths ago was 151/2 stone and riding my TB X WB and my shire x last year i had a TB mare and yes i felt i was to heavy for her but she would go out with me on a 2 1/2 hr hack and not show any signs of complaints but it was very obvious when i took her in the school to work her she found it dificult anyway i sold her for that reason i was to big and now i am 13 1/2 stone and also ride a welsh sec d occasonaly and he is perfectley fine i think you are worring over nothing and with the type of horses you are riding you will be fine sorry to ramble on but dont worry chick honestly your weight is fine and as for the icelandics and highlands ect that is a 20 stone dead weight for carring carcuses over a long distance

thanks for all the reply's i feel a bit better now :) its interesting 2 hear other people opinions, im doin a 10 mile ride on my 15'2 cob soon, i hope he makes it round with me on his back lol :p:p:)

newrider.com