Which horse is ideal for me?

DaisyA

Jun 2, 2017
Hello! I've been riding for a few months and, don't worry, I'm not planning on buying a horse! I just wondered, when it comes to sharing and loaning, what breed and size would be ideal for me? I'm 14 years old, 5 foot 5 and 7 stone. Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, I wasn't sure where to put it!

Well I'm 5'4" and ride anything from 14hh to 17hh plus, but I am most at home on something around 14.3-15.1hh as I'm not really into jumping and I like to be able to get on and off easily when out hacking. Type really depends on what you enjoy most and physically what suits you, for me I like to feel like there's plenty of horse under me and something pretty forward so I tend to go for chunkier hotter blooded horses :) I currently have a 15.1hh Quarter horse x Paint/thoroughbred(TB), she's a lot of horse but not chunky and very go-ey :p My previous riding horse was Arab x TB also known as Anglo Arab, he was also 15.1 and a solid boy and very hot :)

Anything you feel comfortable on, that can carry you.
At your age I was riding as small as 11.2hh :)

Thankyou, it's good to know there's not one set horse I'd need and that I can look around. For me I prefer to be on horses around 15hh so it's good to know that that could be suitable - thanks again!

I'm 5'6/5'7 and my native is almost 14hh on tiptoes when spooking ...! I'd ideally go a couple of inches taller, but like Jessey I love being able get on & off from the ground :) Most of my height is in my leg, so I personally feel more comfortable on wider horses than finer types - but before my native I had a 17hh Irish Sports Horse & felt fine on him too.

At your height & weight, you should be able to ride a nice variety and it's whatever you think is the best fit for you.

newrider.com