Where am I going with my riding?

Sounds great hope it all works out. I "loan" (he stays with me and they come when they want) my pony out and he's taught loads of kids to ride and handle horses.
I would advise getting some personal insurance as even with the best will in the world stuff happens. I'm a gold member of the BHS so I get insurance through that. I insist my loaners get insurance so far they all have joined the BHS as it's good value.
Exciting times

Reactions: Orenoko
Thanks greenb, I'm a gold member too so am going to use that as my insurance, wouldn't do it without, better safe than sorry!

I think all the advice on here so far has been great.

Don't pressure yourself and just enjoy it!!

I absolutely love and look forward to taking my boy up to the local dressage yard near me for my lessons (she also does jumping with me but thats on hold now I'm preggers!) and I absolutely love the feel of the canter, out on hacks I enjoy finding a safe good bit of grass and going for a blast. I love jumping and the feeling of freedom and exhilaration!

BUT I have been riding for 16 years and I certainly did not feel this way at the start! I was brought up around horses but only really started riding my own etc from the age of about 9. I had a little shetland cross who used to put her head down every time we went into canter. I learnt to ride through learning how to avoid being chucked off! No lessons for me until I was about 15.
We all learn in different ways, and we progress and gain our confidence at different times.

For me, my third pony/horse (Diego is my 5th) filled me with terror. I never really felt in control. And I went back about 6 years when I was on him in terms of my riding.

As I said, I now have my Diego and even though he's so young, my love and trust for him helps so much, I worship him and our bond means I know him and trust him and can anticipate his moves.

Sharing a horse is a great idea as it may help with this tremendously! As has been said, god it takes YEARS to learn to ride, and the cantering/jumping isnt for everyone anyway and who says whats right or wrong? Just do what you ENJOY xxxx

newrider.com