When will i be ready to canter

janetj235

May 28, 2006
manchester
Hi, last year took the kids to the local park that has stable's, and what a lovely ride we had round the park, at this point i'd never had a lesson so it was just a nice ride out, but the horse that i was on decided he would like a little trot, but could control him to stop but did enjoy it that much i started having riding lessons, half hour a week since last november, and have only learnt to rise and trot, ride without stirrups (trotting) also standing up trotting. Then this weekend decided to go and see everybody at the park stable's, they asked me how the lessons were going so i told them all how i love it but want to learn how to canter, but the RI say im not ready so my friend's at the park say i should be by now, any idea's on the time or is it confidence or is it just the RI

As far as I'm concerned, if you can trot without stirrups, you can canter. It might not be very dignified, and you'd probably have sore legs the next day, but I doubt very much that you would fall off or lose control. Some instructors like their riders to progress quite fast and others prefer to take things slowly - yours sounds like one of these. Maybe you could suggest you have a canter on the lunge, if she isn't happy leaving the control to you.

cantering

Hello.I have been riding 7 years and started cantering i think in my first 8 o r9 months of riding.I think it is your instructor.You may be fien and think your ready to canter.but it's really the instructor who knows best.They ahve been riding longer than you and are probaly more knowlegable about riding.You probaly are ready but they just want you to get the basics of trotting down pat.If you really want to canter and she doesnt think your ready.Ask her/him if they could put you on a lunge line and let you canter a couple strides.It should let you get the feel.

I learnt to ride an an 'old school' place and I was cantering in the second lesson I think. I can understand why they won't let you canter as in the long run it probably will make you a better rider but it's still a bit frustrating.

Thank you everyone, sorry forgot to add this little bit, but as i said i was talking to the girls at the park (stable's) i have told them that i went out for a hack with my RI he had me up and down the banking of the river, and i managed as my balance is quite good, but the girls at the park said how can u go on a hack without being led as i cant canter, i do understand what they mean, cos as soon as the horse see the open space he thinks mmmmm how far can i push this rider, lol, the place where we hack out is all tree's, wood wild animals even saw a deer, so what if the horse get's spooked and i cant canter.

Sounds like you are ready esp if you are comfortable and balanced without stirrups which is probably a good way to improve seat and confidence early (we did it the other way round)
You are paying for the lessons and as long as the RI does not feel there is too much of a safety risk then you really should be allowed to have a go (or you could always ask the horse sneakily?!?!? ;) )

from your posts I see you are going hacking.Are your lessons taking place while hacking.If so then this is probably the reason you haven't cantered yet. Your RI will want to make sure your seat is secure especially if the horse you ride has a bouncy canter. Does the place you ride have access to a field or school where you could learn and have you asked your instructor if you can learn to canter yet. If you tell the instructor that you feel ready to learn then maybe he can explain either why you aren't yet ready or else arrange a suitable horse and place for you to learn.It may be that he likes to take the adult riders on more slowly for fear of them losing their confidence if he pushes them to hard to quickly.

I have just had my 5th lesson and the RI has booked me in for my first cantering lesson next week! I asked him if this was too soon but he said that he felt that I was ready. I suppose it must depend on the instructor.
If you feel you're not progressing to the standard you want, maybe try another instructor.

Such a dilemma, isnt it.
Chicken and egg situation where they wont let you hack out till you can canter, so there is a lot of pressure to start canter. But many older people like me learn to canter out hacking months before they do it in the school.

I probably had my first canter in a school about six months after starting to ride. I had ridden for two half hours each week. I had no proper instruction and was very put off.
So your first requirement is a suitable horse, a suitable place and a teacher who can teach.
Have you asked why the RI feels you are not ready? Whether the teacher feels you are ready to canter, or waits for you ask to canter, there are some basics to take into consideration.
I dont actually agree that it is easy to canter if one can ride trot with no stirrups. I always found riding with no stirrups very easy.
Before you start canter one needs to learn to do sitting trot with stirrups - which is (I was told) harder to do.
Most teachers ask one to sit a few steps of trot and then to ask for the transition to canter. So you need to be confident and stable in sitting trot, if that makes sense?

Then there is another factor, that of balance. One reason it is easy to learn canter out hacking is that one can choose a straight, preferably uphill stretch of track and there are no corners. In the school one has to canter round corners. And this requires the ability to stay straight on the horse as you go round a corner, with equal weight either side of the center, and without allowing one side of your body to slip forward.

Once your balance is fine and you can sit comfortably to trot and feel happy at the idea of cantering, then most of us would encourage you to try canter. But it is early days. 25 half hour lessons is very little saddle time. After a year's riding you are likely to feel very different. Many of us on this list did not canter seriously and enthusiasticly until we had been riding about two years. My personal experience is that if one canters early it can be a nightmare, but that if one canters late (however frustrating the wait) it comes very easy.

Thanks everyone, i think im just being a little eager as i love riding too bits, and want to learn as much as poss, and prob trying to run before i can walk. anyway thanks a game speak soon

newrider.com