When does the grass stop growing?

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
In nice warm surrey?

I've got about 1/2 acre of very well rested paddock I want to strip graze ale onto, as I do this I would like to rest the front 1/2 acre of his field. I was hoping to keep this as a reserve for January time but I'm wondering how much growth time I have left. I can either section it off bit by bit or do it all tomorrow. This would leave him on a smallish patch of about half an acre until I started strip grazing him. Then he will be on an acre over winter with the half acre spare in case it all gets too muddy!

I could save some of the 1/2 acre I'm grazing him onto soonish also as he certainly doesn't need the weight! It's a nice big field in all, well over an acre I'm guessing almost 2 but the bit he's on is grazed down to the ground and so won't hold up very well come actual winter!

I was told it's governed more by soil temperature than anything else, and that it would grow until that was consistently below 6c. If you aren't worrying about laminitis then I'd try moving the fencing forward a strip onto the grass while closing off a similar sized strip of his existing paddock behind him, that way you can start resting the grazed area without overloading his system & also see how much it's still growing.

Reactions: Jessey
All depends on the weather. A quick google search suggested the soil temp needs to be 6 degrees for the grass to start to grow. In some mild winters I don't think that it has really stopped.

newrider.com