When did you last fall off?

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
Today I fell off for the first time in over 2 years. It wasn't a major fall really, we were jumping and Ben was doing really well. After our last jump we were slowing down and going from canter to trot, when suddenly he went down on his knees and I flew over his head. Our arena is in desperate need of harrowing, and I think he put his foot down a little hole that had been made from a previous horse who was being lunged, and he just tripped. We are both OK, and picked ourselves up to jump the course another 2 times.

So when was your last fall, and what happened?

Sorry you fell. Jumping does up the risk tho.
My last fall was summer before last in canter in forward seat when the pony jumped a shadow across the path, mistaking it for a jump. I didnt realise one had to sit back on landing from a jump. RI later took me into the school and got out poles and showed me. But it did put me off hacking the RS ponies.

I half bailed but didn't land on my feet 2 weeks ago today off my new horse. Something seriously upset him, I have a feeling it was a bug of some sort on his belly the way he started acting, Saint after that. last proper fall was off the horse at work straight onto the concrete yard. He done a rodeo and is a b******* when he does.

Hope your not too sore tomorrow.

Few years ago when both Kia and I bit it out a hack. He lost the backlegs and down we went. I was more annoyed about the hole in my Jodhs than the bruising on my leg from his rocking onto it getting up.

We were both fine though :)

Mine was back in April. First fall on my new horse. I was walking out up a country lane and there was a piece of long branch across the road so I thought I would just walk him over it like you would a pole on the floor. He had other ideas and basically decided to start bucking which I didn't sit. So fell off on the road.

January 3rd.
I was riding bareback and she spooked to the side and cantered off. She stopped and I didn't. :) Landed on my feet.
She really has a "bad habit" of canter to halt, you need to remind her to slow to walk or trot, all the time else she just stops.

Erm. I can't remember when I last fell off.
Wow - never thought I'd be saying that haha!
I'll maybe go look back my diary on here and find out!
Hope you're ok MP. We don't bounce like we used to!

She really has a "bad habit" of canter to halt, you need to remind her to slow to walk or trot, all the time else she just stops.

So does my horse and I think that this was what contributed to my fall today. I'm not sure if he tripped in canter, or if he knew we had finished jumping so decided to slam the breaks on. As we were going pretty fast, a sudden transition to halt could have caused him to lose his balance, and maybe a hole in the arena contributed to this, it happened so quickly I'm not sure what happened. The yard was quite busy and lots of people saw us completely demolish a jump a few minutes before I fell off, but no-one saw me actually fall off!

When I tried to do round the world on Libby on a hack
As I went backwards I kicked her and she cantered off and I plopped off and ended up in hospital with concussion
Only fall off her in 9 years
Silly me

Reactions: J.Ems
Ok, I've just had to do search and I'm ashamed to admit that while It's been four and a half years since my last fall, that fall was the memorable farting fall of March 2012.

My diary entry for that month.....
My intention was for a quiet daunder, but at the mounting block I swung my leg over, Flipo freaked, bolted around in a big arc and deposited me in a heap of nettles. This isn’t the first time thats happened but in the past I've known that saddle fit was to blame. Having just had this checked, I knew it wasn’t the reason so why this time? I replayed the event in my head, reviewed the possible causes and chuckled to myself. There were no distractions being so early on, no one was about yet, you could have heard a pin drop…….or other noises……which I guess leads me to explain that what actually scared Flipo was infact my fault.:redface: You see my butterfly filled stomach had caused a slightly dicky tummy and at the crucial moment of mounting, I had accidentally, but very demurely (I assure you), let one rip, causing Flipo to freak. :redcarded: Now you’d think that with his average farting rate being about 3-4 raspberries every 15 minutes, he’d be well used to the sound but noooo and I’vegot the bruises to prove it. I’m just glad I could laugh and scramble back on to go out on our hack. Idiot.

Cross country schooling on Cally in July: drop fence into water, canter through the water then out up hill over a skinny brush. She was a little hesitant jumping in, lost more impulsion through the water and by the time she got to the brush she thought better of it and slammed on the brakes. I was already committed so I jumped it without her! Honest young-horse refusal. She jumped it the 2nd time of asking. I was fine too.

On my birthday last year! Happy Birthday me but I got a lift home so it wasn't all bad.

Reactions: J.Ems
I haven't fallen off in YEARS which is mental as I used to fall off nearly every time I rode my second pony Thumper!! He was a 13.2hh welsh mountain pony and he was a bugger for doing these huge cat leaps that I wasn't experienced enough to sit through! Every time he saw a leaf, or a packet of crisps blowing in the breeze he'd be off! And my first pony Flicka, she used to put her head down every time she went into canter!! But I honestly can't remember the actual last time I fell off. I never came off Tom who I got when I was 14... so thats going to be... oh my god, 12 years ago at the least. Jesus!! Having written this... I'm blatently going to fall off tomorrow on my lesson with D!! Haha!!! To be fair, 2 of these years I didn't ride... so its only 10 years of riding and no fall.
I don't know how I didn't fall off D the other day though.... he tripped the other day out on a hack and went down on his knees bad enough to end up with cuts. I very very nearly went over his head but just managed to cling on.
I am doing a lot more with D though, jumping etc. So I'm sure I'll be letting you all know about my fall soon enough!!!! The bigger the gap between falls, the more I dread it though!!!
Hope you're ok! xxx

Do you know I can't honestly remember it was so long ago:oops: .

I suppose I could sort of count about 3/4 years back when Dolly fell when we were galloping across a field and hit an unexpected ditch that just suddenly appeared in front of us and she tripped as I stupidly tried to interfere with her finding her footing and jumping it - I left the saddle briefly, my foot dragged along the ground as she fell but she leapt up and threw me back on board so I guess, technically anyway, thanks to her help I didnt actually hit the deck lol!

I suppose the only real serious fall I remember is over 20 years ago when Solly was a young chap and he was side winded by a combine harvester...spooked off the bridleway into the next field...to come face to face with a small light aircraft just taking off 20 yards in front of him on the local runway.! And yes I did fall out of the side door as he did a very quick about turn for home! :D I forgave him instantly though, I was as terrified as he was!:eek:

Holy Mary Mother of God - please dont let this post tempt fate! :confused:

On a fun ride about 18m ago. And yes, it did involve my nemesis....a jump! Small log, decided to follow the people we were with and at the last minute Albi spotted it and cat leapt. I just pinged off and hit the deck. Got up and was absolutely fine (was wearing my trusty Racesafe). Checked phone had survived (as you do these days!!), used aforementioned log to clamber back on and didn't dwell on it. No aches or soreness the next day either..... just goes to show it is all about the landing!

My previous fall was my accident 4.5 years ago when I busted the 6 ribs so it's nice to know that I CAN fall off and not break multiple bones!!! :p

I'm so pleased she hasn't but my mum hasn't fallen off in absolutely years and she rides 3/4 times a week and different horses alot of the time!

Oh heck Domane I remember your very serious fall...horrific and can't believe how quickly you bounced (sorry not a good word lol!) back from it and got back your riding mojo. Not sure I would have done so well, took some courage I think. ;)

Not sure whether i shared these. I had a funny virus earlier in the year and had to have another chest xray. It was useful to see my ribs, which did re-join....of sorts.....although they are clearly still displaced.... my body gave them it's best shot! :p

20160401_092825-600x652.jpg

I do have a tender spot....which I have always attributed to residual soft tissue nerve pain.... but now I know exactly what it is. Upon closer inspection, I actually have a blunt end which sticks out.....

20160408_180018-600x1003.jpg

Think that's set for life now...... :rolleyes: No wonder I'm wonky!!! :p

newrider.com