When did you last change your bit?

I have no changed chunkys bit in 10 years. He is in an egg butt snaffle. Could have done with something stronger on the fun rides but for hacking he's fine in the snaffle. I have a Liverpool for driving which I think he hates. As he throws his head in the air.
Billy I bought an eggbutt snaffle initially, but he mouths alot, not sure if it's his youngster age. I then tried a soft flexible rubber bit. He did seem to prefer after getting use to the feel of it, I found he mouthed less. But I didn't have brakes. So I'm trying a Dutch gag at present one down on the ring from snaffle. But I think he has raised his head more. Which I'm told they do. Not riding quite as much due to winter and think if he's a bit fresh I need to be able to stop. He spends his time trying to grab hold of the rings at the side. I also think it's a tad small, I think I need the next size up. I'm going to swap back to the soft rubber soon. I want to learn how to make my hands to be soft on his mouth and for him to be respectful of my riding.
He was driven in a happy mouth butterfly which I'm told he was ok in. I am so confused over bits. Some people say try a sweet iron, some say try a happy mouth, some say French link. I could spend a fortune on buying bits for him to try.

Reactions: SeeingSpots
I am so confused over bits. Some people say try a sweet iron, some say try a happy mouth, some say French link. I could spend a fortune on buying bits for him to try.

I think honestly, you have to find something that suits him. People can recommend all sorts but it's only trial and error that will help you find the one that suits.

Toffee will go in a single jointed bit and goes quite well in one actually but I don't like the thought of the nutcracker on his tongue and the v poking up into his palette. I have had him in a sweet iron with a lozenge, full cheek snaffle bit which he was ok with but very busy in the mouth, always chomping and messing about with the bit, and I didn't really feel that he needed the big cheeks so I switched him to a Neue Schule Tranz Angled Lonzenge Eggbutt after that which was fine but he had rubbish brakes and the fitter he got, the less brakes he got. He is currently being schooled by myself and my instructor so he is very responsive off the leg, forward thinking and a bit scary when he won't stop when you ask. He would fix himself on the bit and just lean on it when he wanted to go. I considered switching to a loose ring or a Neue Schule Universal but then my instructor suggested a 3 ring dutch gag. He goes beautifully in it, his mouth is quiet, he drops into an outline and is a pleasure to ride AND I have brakes. He's currently in a stainless steel with copper lozenge bit and he seems to quite like it. I was so proud of him today, even my instructor commented how well he went and my hands weren't sore afterwards, everything was just soft and nice.

When mine is listening I can slow off my body and voice, I don't worry about the nut cracker as my rein is light. I tweak it to slow if she is isn't listening.
Put her with a pal in a field though and I am just a passenger, anything more than my tweak she ignores and gets Imo strong because she isn't listening.
@SeeingSpots yours sounds like what I don't want from mine. All this forward going and forward thinking is good if the rider can and knows how to contain it and direct it. I got mine going forwards for a dressage test. She wasn't doing the same one as me as we shot past C, I could not bend, or turn all this energy!
My canter got me a 4 which is just proof I struggled to keep it in the area marked out!

All this forward going and forward thinking is good if the rider can and knows how to contain it and direct it.

This is what I am currently working on with my instructor and it's going really well. If I can focus him, he still has the energy but it's channeled much better.

She wasn't doing the same one as me as we shot past C,
Sorry that made me giggle a bit, Toffee has done things like that lol

I won't be the only rider whose horse has jumped the boards :D
But I now school out in our fields. Take away the post and rail arena and you find things out.
In her defence my RI said she will struggle cantering a circle.

NF that's interesting you school in the field. How often do you do this. Does the field cut up. Do you have any tape/markers up to mark your schooling area.

It took me forever to find a bit and bridle that Pete liked, like 2 years. So as soon as I did, we've not changed :D

He's very fussy and sensitive in his mouth but built like a tank & so strong ...! He's in a Myler low port D ring snaffle with hooks and I use a leather chin strap underneath to prevent it being pulled through his mouth when I'm using one rein (e.g for stopping as he's taught to bend to a stop using a one rein disengagement). The hooks give me a little more if I need it, but to be honest it's negliable. I think I've just used to him being strong & fast and try to ride with no/as little contact as possible as this is how he's happiest.

But, this is the only bit he's tolerated & actually opens his mouth to be bridled, so be's definitely happy in it.

He's in a padded comfort bridle & I don't tend to use a cavesson noseband in the winter & only use one in the summer to attach a nosenet to in order to help his headshaking.

We mainly just a bridle with a bit for hacking & some flatwork. We do the rest of our flatwork & jumping in a rope halter. Ideally I'd like a little more for jumping, but he's sensitive & objects quite strongly to it if I don't get the perfect release over a fence. So, I sacrifice the refinement (or mostly just breaks ...!!) of a bit to keep him happy jumping. Which he adores.

NF that's interesting you school in the field. How often do you do this. Does the field cut up. Do you have any tape/markers up to mark your schooling area.
Possibly once a month over winter. We are not shod so I don't find I churn it. Though if it's being raining a lot I wouldn't as its slippery.
I have roughly a 20x 40 corner but would have walked about first probably.

newrider.com