When did you last change your bit?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Question in the title.
I know some people buy a horse or start a horse and it stays in the same bit for life. Wouldn't that make life easier if we could all do that.

Mine has had an eggbutt snaffle since backing, she is happy in that. She went through a phase around 6 years of what I think they call pig rooting. So in canter the head is basically on the floor, you can't get it back up, turn, stop, you are literally a passenger. Well and truly on the forehand because you can't stop it going either.
Don't ask me why I tried a French link eggbutt but she didn't lean after that-I would not have been able to stop her at all had she done one though!! It felt like I was going from the frying pan into the fire!! Used it for about two weeks.

We need something else for fast work now. I am doing the dreaded search.

Loose ring sweet iron French link snaffle.

I usually back in one and if the horse agrees I leave it alone.

Kia has been in one for a long long time. When we were common riding he had a loop ring snaffle as he could get a bit strong but other than that he has done everything other than showing in this bit :)

I've never changed hers. She goes okay in it and tbh back when I did more than pootle gently I wasn't really experienced enough to change her bit. I was afraid of making a muck up and either making things worse or getting whizzed off. Someone when we were on a yard did suggest a stronger bit but I was worried my hands weren't gentle / still enough to not do more harm than good. So the original one stayed and I learnt to cope with the occasional run on in the arena or out hacking. To be fair, she didn't run off much hacking, it was normally genuine in that something spooked / upset her and a stronger bit wouldn't have helped.
I like to think I've gained a bit more experience now and I wouldn't be afraid to make changes on my next horse - sometimes you just have to try these things.

I'm a bit switcher o_O I have multiple bits for jess, depending on how she's behaving and what we are doing, a have a sweet iron and copper dog bone snaffle, myler comfort snaffle, kimblewick, butterfly Pelham, sidepull, s-hack and German hack. Most recently, about 4 months ago, jess was being super spooky and strong so I switched from the German hack to the pelham, the pelham allowed me to keep her on a direct contact on the snaffle rein with the back up of the curb rein if she got too strong.
ETA, I'm not a serial bit switcher, Bo had 2 bits most of his life, a snaffle and a curb for western. Hank I started in a eggbut snaffle (because a friend had one small enough which he gave me) and he's still in it happily.

Last edited:
depends on the horse really, some ive fiddle a lot with different bits. Brook was started in a loosering shaped snaffle with a lozenge and has stayed in it thus far.

NewForest which mouthpeice did the eggbutt snaffle have that you started in , if you changed to an eggbutt frenchlink?

About three years ago. She was in loose ring French link and went pretty well in it. Don't even remember why I changed it now, but she is now in a Cambridge bit (magic bit) and really works in a nice outline.

I've tried a few, settled on one for a while and then when or partnership inproved I went looking again, tried a couple others a couple of years ago and acknowledged that he was happy in the Waterford so we went back to it. Doesn't need it, but suits his mouth conformation.

My mare I had her in an eggbutt snaffle and she went super in it. I did try change to a french link once but she didn't like it and I realised I wasn't changing for a reason so kept with it. My new boy I tried him in what the previous owner had him in but found for jumping he got too keen and wouldn't listen. So I have tried a couple with my coach and we've found something for jumping that is soft the majority of the time but when he fights I do have that extra control. For dressage I use a snaffle though

which mouthpeice did the eggbutt snaffle have that you started in , if you changed to an eggbutt frenchlink?
Just the standard mouthpiece. She doesn't like anything more than a light contact. So as she was leaning and feeling like she was tanking I changed to something to help her do that less.

acknowledged that he was happy in the Waterford so we went back to it. Doesn't need it, but suits his mouth conformation.
That's the key to bitting I think. What suits you and your horse.
Initially I wanted her in a sweet iron loose ring- because it's meant to be kinder etc etc. She didn't like it.
I got a basic eggbutt nutcracker type and she is fine perhaps because when I do touch the rein its direct and obvious.

In fact I have had more issues finding her a bitless! Gone full circle and ride what I initially sat on her with. The halter.

About 6 months ago. been playing a great deal with bits but then mine is a baby and we have been experimenting

@newforest
by standard mouthpiece do you mean single jointed? just interested as i would always have classed a SJ mouthpeice more severe than a french link or lozenge.. moreover a change from eggbutt to loosering would be my first choice if leaning as the change from a fixed ring to a moveable ring gives less to grab at. Its what suits you and your horse though, what works for one doesnt work for them all.

She didn't like the loose ring. So I just changed the mouthpiece.
I agree though I do class the single joint as more severe but not if she prefers it and I only need a light rein.

Reactions: CharliesAngel
I've just put Toffee in a 2 ring gag and he has never been better. He goes beautifully in it and has brakes, he isn't busy in his mouth as much, he's soft and quiet and seems so much happier. I will use the bottom ring for hacking and the snaffle for schooling generally.

I am planning on tweaking hers because in company she is a different ride when it comes to canter.
I know a bit won't fix the problem but you can't school if you can't direct the horse.
I haven't given nosebands a thought because she is just in cavesson, are you still in the grackle as well or taken off?
Are you not trying a loose ring or am I confused by your other thread?

Last edited:
I haven't given nosebands a thought because she is just in cavesson, are you still in the grackle as well or taken off?

No I'm still using it. I tried putting a cavesson on a few months back and he was a complete sod, he knew straight away that it was off and it was just a nightmare. Pop it back on and he's back to his normal accommodating self. I do loosen it for schooling though, he only has it firmly on for hacking. I did think about changing to a flash for schooling but then I thought what is the point if he's going ok in his grackle and someone once said that a flash noseband isn't as nice for them as a grackle. I don't think I will need the grackle for schooling forever, he is improving his behaviour already but I do believe I'll need it for hacking. He can get so excited sometimes.

That's really interesting @SeeingSpots , I have always read that a noseband has no function but clearly it does for Toffee. It doesn't seem to matter to Ziggy whether he wears one or not, so we don't because I like to see his pretty face, but he's not bothered if I put one on to scrub up.

It really has made a difference, especially to hacking. I did toy with the idea of a flash for schooling but then thought why change if he is going nicely. I loosen it off a bit for schooling but like it there as a reminder. He still tries his usual trick off a cheeky head toss, a grunt and an attempt at doing one with a "let's go!" attitude occasionally - in fact he did it today because he anticipated a canter when I changed the rein and was raring to go lol He didn't get very far - but it's manageable. He's just a very dominant little pony and very eager at times and when he gets like that it's like, sod what I want, he's doing what he wants. :-D

newrider.com