Whats your weather like? are you rugging yet?

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Its been remarkably warm here, we haven't yet had a frost (nearly on Monday with night time lows of 3c) but the days are still well in the double figures, today its going to be 14c apparently. We had all the winds last week and the week before but it stayed dry pretty much through out, just the odd shower. I can't really believe its November, so far winter is being kind :) I started putting a light weight rain sheet on Jess last week at night but she's still naked in the day and Hank will stay naked all winter.

Mattie was shivery this morning despite the mild temperatures and his fluffy coat. I've put a rug on him because he's an old man now. Ziggy is hot and I am taking more of his coat off soon!

Reactions: Jessey
Yesterday morning was very chilly here and the temperatures didn't get up much during the day either. This morning isn't just as bad but there is a definite nip in the air. Wee Rummy has been getting his stable rug on at nights for about the last week but he got his outdoor rug on yesterday. Marley has a low trace clip and will probably stay unrugged through winter.

Generally mild but going chillier at night, there was a decent frost here Monday morning & once the sun starts dropping there's a definite nip in the air & a damp feel.

Little Un is rugged because he was hunter clipped again on Saturday so is very hairless, but I haven't got him in full necks & Monday afternoon was so lovely that after I'd ridden I put him out rugless for a couple of hours after he'd been ridden.

It's mainly been quite mild so far, we had our first frost Monday morning and I had to de ice the car. Lottie is fully clipped and wearing a 200g with neck, it's grown back quite a bit and she needs doing again really. Old man who lives out with the herd is naked atm and is always warm enough. He is fat and only just started to get his winter coat a few weeks ago. He can drop weight easily and with him being older he'll probably go into a 100g/200g depending on weather in a week or so. The plan is to keep him out, he's arthritic so moving about really helps and being out in a herd has really given him a new lease of life.

We have the nip in the air but mild days. The sun is only up for eight and half hours so it's colder more than its warm.

Angel hasn't been clipped yet and is out in a rain sheet - she hasn't needed anything heavier yet. I am clipping her this week and she might go up to 100gsm if it gets colder but it's still really mild and she's quite a hot horse.

Nope, no rug for Belle, frost here too Monday morning and she was like ‘frost? What frost?’
Even with her bib clip she’s plenty warm enough, her coat isn’t long but boy is it thick.

Raf has been rugged since he was clipped a few weeks ago. Day time is no problem, he's in a no neck lighting weight. Nights are another issue -I believe it's his Cushings that makes it difficult to regulate his temperature and if he gets warm his body temp seems to go into overdrive - bit like me and my hot flushes! - so it's a tricky business selecting the right rug for over night. Can't leave him rugless though as he very easily gets cold.

Jack is unclipped and still out 24/7 and happy as Larry. He is a warm horse anyway and has grown a lovely woolly coat. We don't ride him any more but if we did we'd have to clip or he'd be lathered.

Been chilly here. Proper frost on Monday! And even though it's been sunny, you can feel autumn in the wind. Gracie was clipped out again last Thurs and now has naked legs so I've had her in a MW combo as her new paddock gets very windy, plus she is muzzled so her heat-making intake is reduced. She's not sweating or feeling particularly hot underneath either. Jack is naked and fluffy. He's not been rugged yet but if we have a substantial downpour forecast, I will put a rainsheet on from now. He also has plenty of grass. Both are still living out, too.

The gingerbread man has been rugged whenever we've been expecting rain. He is very thin skinned and I won't have him shivering. The girls have been naked most days - today they have rugs as it's torrential rain and quite chilly. I just play it by ear really, some days have been very mild and no rugs for anyone, others like today are just soggy and cold.

It's mainly been quite mild so far, we had our first frost Monday morning and I had to de ice the car. Lottie is fully clipped and wearing a 200g with neck, it's grown back quite a bit and she needs doing again really. Old man who lives out with the herd is naked atm and is always warm enough. He is fat and only just started to get his winter coat a few weeks ago. He can drop weight easily and with him being older he'll probably go into a 100g/200g depending on weather in a week or so. The plan is to keep him out, he's arthritic so moving about really helps and being out in a herd has really given him a new lease of life.

That sounds good for his arthritis and great that he's enjoying being in a herd.:)

I've just started putting a rainsheet on Harvey. Its about 7c at night and 11c in the day. He's going into Winter in a lot better condition than last year, but I still don't want him to drop too much.

Tess ,Charlie and Gem have rainsheets on, the shetlands have enough of their own coat to keep them warm, we expected Tess & Charlie to need one, old lady and the wimp, but was taken by surprise with Gem, she was wet, cold and off her food on Saturday, we put an old rainsheet of Tess's on and within a couple of hours was back to normal and has been fine since - another welsh weather wimp!

Doesn't it just go to show that they're all so different :D
It does, to be honest if Belle hadn't got a good shelter I would probably stick a rain sheet on in really bad weather, but I know she can get out of it if she needs to so don't tend to worry.

We have a run in barn despite the high winds and lashing rain.
She is usually on the top of the hill for good measure.

Mine are both full clip so I have a light weight rainsheet on.
I swapped from fly sheets a month ago into rainsheet but with there full coat they were sweating in the day. Since clipping they are fine now.

Kia’s been in a rug since beg of October as it’s just bee rotten up here. Now it’s cold and rotten :rolleyes:

He’s getting clipped next week so I’ll upnthe rug weights once that’s happened he’s only getting a trace of some sort anyway so he will probs be in mediums until the temps really drop.

He is in a 150g at the moment and coping fine

Mylo has a rain sheet on simply because the field is sooooo muddy! I have the clippers ready to give him a short back and sides at weekend.
Star is also in a rain sheet as she is in a small paddock so can't run round to keep war. I'll probably clip her neck off too.

newrider.com