What's your horses/ponies niggle?

tikkitti

Mar 8, 2015
As it's rare to get a perfect horse what's your horses niggle, it could as simple as leaning whilst you pick feet out? Or a huge niggle like trying to kick you whilst you catch? Surely most have at least a small niggle you'd love to improve on or have had one during you having/riding them? x

Mine with my boy is he can get rather excited been led in for tea in winter, which is no fun especially in a muddy gateway:eek: He also will try leaning when picking his feet however once told stops, and my main one is he kicks his door for attention:mad: He is mainly a good boy though just struggles with having patience:D x

Jess has temper tantrums when she's hungry, that is really annoying :rolleyes:Hank can be a fidget to pick his feet out, tied up its no issue its just when he's loose so not really an issue but he's learning :)

Reactions: tikkitti
Tór really does not have any real niggles, he's just a big bunny faced optimist. an utter, utter clown. He's funny rather than niggly

Kiki is a pain in the ass with her feet, she hates being wet and she gets really grumpy when it's raining and when she gets excited in the field she likes to 'play' with me, which normally involves her cantering at me and bouncing around whilst I try to shoo her away. She's still awesome though :D

I can't say she has any. If you look for issues you will find issues.

I could say her seasons are but that's who she is and I work with it. If I could change anything it would be for her to less hormonal. Then I wouldn't have to walk that week.

Marley is very in your space, not in a bad way, he loves attention and to be near. I do love that he loves getting attention and nose kisses etc but sometimes it can be a pain, like when I am bringing him in, the next thing he is right up over my shoulder..so I stop make him move over and we continue but in no time he has crept over again, this continues but never seems to improve. I wouldn't mind as he is good to bring in in the summer but in the winter he is a nightmare, on high alert, eyes on stalks and he has reared and pulled away a few times. He used to be very playful in the field just like @No_Angel says hers is like, so much though that he would scare people who came to visit..he has calmed down a lot now, think its as he has gotten a bit older...Love him to bits though :D

Ben is annoying to lead! He will either want to walk as slowly as possible and stop after every stride (this is when he is full of grass), or he will be incredibly strong and try and drag me everywhere (this is when he is on box rest). It is hard to get him to walk properly at a nice pace by my side.

Kia is impatient, he has manners, won't pull or drag you but he will bump you with his nose or fidget and sigh and shake his head at you if he thinks you are taking too long to do something :D

It's quite funny really when he's on one :D

Reactions: tikkitti and Jessey
4 months and Gracie still stresses about the walk to and from the field. We have to walk along a dyke between 2 fishing pools and so her landscape changes daily, depending on whether there are any fishermen with tents, umbrellas, bags, etc. If it is quiet, you can bet that some duck is diving about in the reeds, making them rustle....or splashing and diving in full view. Or WORSE..... mummy goose swimming with all her babies behind her! :p And don't get me started on how the water ripples in wind and rain!! Or how the willow trees billow!!!

I call it "running the gauntlet"!!!

I turned out someone's TB for her last week and she was so calm, cool and chilled in comparison. Ambled along with her head hanging..... what a treat!

he will bump you with his nose or fidget and sigh and shake his head at you if he thinks you are taking too long to do something :D
Sometimes mine does this being lead in. Itn the sun she gives herself away as I can see her shadow so can correct when I see the ears vanish. Yes I do have eyes in the back of my head. :)

Raf, I'd just like him to be dependable with large traffic - he's much better than he was but I still have to warn anyone that I'm riding with that I have to stop and focus on keeping him standing still while the scary thing goes past. Waving and shouting cheerily to the driver seems to help, but that just makes people think I'm odd :p Oh and I'd love for him not to have Cushings, if I could change anything at all, that would be it.

Jack is lovely but he too can get impatient if he thinks you're too slow. He will catch your clothes in his teeth and give you a tug if you're too slow getting rugs on/off, and he can be very march-y on his way to/from the field on the odd occasion if something has offended him, like the fact that he's starving or everyone else has gone in but him (at the moment he's out 24/7 and very chilled). He also does the best grumpy 'f*ck off' flick with his head that I've seen - especially to the yard Kelpie who tries to chivvy him along, much to his disgust. I don't think I'd change him though, he's entitled to be a bit of a grumpy old man at his age.

I don't know where to start with madams niggles! She's hard to catch - well she comes to call but won't let you put a headcollar on!! She threatens to kick, hates being petted... naps - it goes on! It's all to do with how sore her skin is. We've been together for some years now and I don't care anymore. Occasionally get wound up trying to catch her but she is a field ornament so it's not usually a big deal.

Piggywig. He steals. He breaks and enters. He breaks things. He runs off with said things. He gives menwedgies. He pulls my trousers down. All things I love about hi though! He is just a curious affectionate pony who should have really been a dog!

Harvey is pretty good. He has a *very* girlie neigh which is so quiet it can only be heard from about 10 feet away. He is a bit of a pain to lead, but is improving. When I first got him he always tried to be on my left, then he walked with his nose in my back, and now finally he will lead on my right, but always behind.

I'm gonna be one hell of a fluffy bunny here but I really don't feel comfortable listing my horse's niggles without suggesting that a lot of them are down to me probably being a bad trainer/accepting them/ or being intolerant.
No one is perfect, I'm sure my horse would have a long list of what I'm shit at lol!

I'm gonna be one hell of a fluffy bunny here but I really don't feel comfortable listing my horse's niggles without suggesting that a lot of them are down to me probably being a bad trainer/accepting them/ or being intolerant.
No one is perfect, I'm sure my horse would have a long list of what I'm shit at lol!

I just noticed a 'bad habit' that mine has accidently been allowed to start doing.
On the upside it did test my core strength, balance and saddle stability. So that's good. :)
It's not a niggle though because I am fault for not correcting.

As for what mine considers unacceptable about me I don't think it would be a long list because she bites:p I get corrected straight off the bat.:D

newrider.com