What's going in here? Riding OK everywhere but home...

effle

Oct 9, 2004
West Coast Canada
Visit site
I wonder what some of you more experienced riders will think...this is less a problem, than it is a matter of curiosity and a hope that I can change it.
<p>Here's the situation in a nutshell. I'm a new rider, & new to 24-7 horse care (though am an "always wanted to"). I'm lucky at this point in my life because I can have 2 private lessons per week (with a great instructor!) and I've been able to get in a trail ride on the weekend of late. My roommate & I share a small acreage on which we keep his 2 horses--neither of which are for novices, but they are both lovely social want-to-please. I don't know how to talk about training, but the one arab has been a dressage horse, and has done arena work (not much on the trails) whereas the other boy has done more trails etc. This boy is a bit of a head tosser (wears a pelham bit) and is always fully charged, ready to GO. All that said, both of these boys are wonderful and I love them and take part in their daily (sometimes hourly) care, like they were my own.</p>
<p>Here's my question/problem. It seems that on the 3 ocassions Roomie has let me on, I have nearly come off. Also, had a bit of an adrenalin lode the last time I was on the latter boy, as we'd stopped at the barn to pick something up--and my super-charged boy decided that he was going to follow his mate into the barn. I would have come off for sure, but in the end, I did manage to turn him back. But it scared me. Maybe it scared my friend more (they are his horses, after all, and he knows they are not beginner horses, I guess he just wanted to ride a little with me on one, and he on the other...)</p>
<p>I guess what forms the question in my mind is that when I am ANYWHERE else, with anyone else, I seem to be able to do fine--in control of the horse, confident (not polished perhaps, but capable of getting my horse to do what I want him/her to do, but the minute I get on top of one of these horses--who KNOW me, etc, I am like a person who is sitting atop for the first time.</p>
I do find the situation disheartening to say the least. I mean, I could barely stay on when in our arena! Trotting and cantering are out of the question for some strange reason. Am I that much of a dolt that I can ride other horses, away from home, but can't do anything RIGHT when I am here? </p>

The answer may be in the horses you are riding.

You say you are a new rider, if these horses are sensetive and listening to your every move you will find them difficult to ride.

You could spend 24/7 with my little horse and get to know him and he you, but to ride him is a different kettle of fish. He is listening to your every move. If you are not sitting square he'll respond. If you lose you balance he'll interperet it as something you wanted him to do and do it. Don't get me wrong, he is SO willing to please he tries to please you no matter what you do....even if you didn't want pleasing. :) :) ;)

You may not realise you are doing these things and won't know why the horse is acting like he is.

You have already recognisd that they are not for novice riders.

Don't worry. You just need to learn to ride sensetive types. Think still and calm and serene. You'll soon be able to ride these more sensetive guys.

newrider.com