What did you do in your first lesson?

RayRay

Jan 8, 2017
What did you do in your first lesson?, My first lesson back in October it was group lesson, i walked and trotted and i was told how to stop and turn. got my second lesson booked for tomorrow :)

Thats great, sound like you were brave off the lead rein for you first lesson! What horse/pony did you ride?
If I go back 23 years, I think I sat on the pony and got led around! I remember the butterflies I used to feel before going to my weekly lessons on a Saturday. Honestly I've never ever been so excited about anything else ever since.

Straight out in the roads on the lead rein.
Kick to go, pull to stop and turn, very hard habit to lose!

My first ride when I was 7 was on a little grey called Puff! Then the horse bug bit and I haven't been able to escape horses yet! All I can remember from that ride was walking around on the lead and did a boucy trot too, and learned about stop/go/turn/how to sit, etc. That was overseas and first proper lesson when I was back home was basically the same but off the lead, and the horse started cantering when we trotted and once horse was back under control instructor and parents rushed over going are you ok and I was like woo that was fun! haha!
P.S canter is still my favourite pace, but I wasn't allowed to do it until I had mastered rising trot, which takes forever! But once you click at it you're away!

My first ride when I was 7 was on a little grey called Puff! Then the horse bug bit and I haven't been able to escape horses yet! All I can remember from that ride was walking around on the lead and did a boucy trot too, and learned about stop/go/turn/how to sit, etc. That was overseas and first proper lesson when
I was back home was basically the same but off the lead, and the horse started cantering when we trotted and once horse was back under control instructor and parents rushed over going are you ok and I was like woo that was fun! haha!
P.S canter is still my favourite pace, but I wasn't allowed to do it until I had mastered rising trot, which takes forever! But once you click at it you're away!
haha i recon ill be quite scared when i do my fisrt canter if i mange to get that fair

No canter is definitely the best! Its like a rocking horse motion so its way easier to ride than trotting :)

My first lesson as an adult was an assessment hack. I remember how good it felt to hold the reins again! I had had the odd lesson as a kid but booked in for regular lessons aged 34. It was great, we went for a walk around an estate and back and then into the school just walking. Loved it and could hardly wait until the week after. I think on my third lesson things got interesting when we attempted rising trot! Heheheee. Good memories.

well i had my second lesson today i rode a horse called May who's Black, Welsh Sec D(had to look that up don't Horse breads yet) i ended up at the fount because I manged keep her out when others just turned into the middle( which I was pleased about because last time the horse was more in control then I was) that went out the window a bit latter when we trotted though. Apparently things to work on the Things to work on keeping my heals down, I the rising I kept going forward. apart the last trot was much. Looking back at the some of the pciutes my position is awful way far forward also kept ending holding the rains wrong(aslo think i would of falling off at one point if I wasnt holding onto a neck strap. I felt sorry for poor May having me on top of her doing everything wrong(she was great though) going back to uni soon so wont be going to this riding school again.

My first ride when I was 7 was on a little grey called Puff! Then the horse bug bit and I haven't been able to escape horses yet! All I can remember from that ride was walking around on the lead and did a boucy trot too, and learned about stop/go/turn/how to sit, etc. That was overseas and first proper lesson when I was back home was basically the same but off the lead, and the horse started cantering when we trotted and once horse was back under control instructor and parents rushed over going are you ok and I was like woo that was fun! haha!

How long did it take you to master the rising trot(I'm really Bad at it now).

I can't remember exactly, it was a long time ago now! But it does take a while. Its an odd one to build up strength and timing for, but once you have it you don't forget

yeah well apparently i was better when i did my last trot in the lesson. but yeah i think it is going to take a whille

Probably, but enjoy it! it's fun and all part of the learning :)
Can't rush it, theres always something to be learnt with horses!

Earlier you said you're going back to uni so not that riding school, are you going to another or stopping completely?

newrider.com