What defines 'Natural' Horsemanship...?

Peaches

Jun 29, 2008
Hey, I'm new to entering this area of the site...

I'm posting about this because, while well aware of the varying trainers advocating 'natural horsemanship', their apporaches all differ slightly right? So what exactly defines 'natural'?

I've never followed any particular method, nor read up all too much on it either. I don't go out for a session of 'games' or 'groundwork' specifically. However I don't follow 'traditional' methods religiously either despite it being as I was brought up, because the horse I have came to me with lots of behavioural problems as 'traditionl hunting' lifestyle didn't suit him.

So at what point do you cross between natural and unnatural in the approach with your horse? (I know thats ironic is the results we crave from both are unnatural results from our horses but still).

I'm quite happy doing things as they work for us, and have no inclination to follow one method specifically at all as with a difficult horse I feel it's better to mix and match to find what suits him and me together...Just curious as to peoples opinion on this question, although no doubt it is one that has been asked many a time before sorry!

x

As long as it doesn't involve beating my horse.

Of course :eek: would never consider beating him!!

A poke with my finger in his neck or chest if he's pushy or a tap on the nose if he sticks it in my face too much is as close to beating as we get lol...

I think 'natural horsemanship' has kind of come to mean everything & nothing in a way. What it means for me personally....

Understanding a horse's natural behaviour & way of thinking first & foremost. Being respectFUL & considerate of the horse. Working with his natural instincts and reactions to teach him in such a way that communication is clear and he gains confidence & respect for you as a friend & partner, not just a 'boss'. Causing your horse to do what you ask willingly because he wants to, not grudgingly because he is forced to.

It's a funny phrase really as the horses we own are asked to do things that are totally un-natural. This is one reason why Kelly Marks called her organisation Intelligent Horsemanship!!

I agree with Wundahoss' decription.

Was the term Natural Horsemanship first brought to the publics attention by Parelli? (maybe someone can enlighten us on this)

It's not what we ask a horse to do, but the way in which we ask it. The aim of Natural Horsemanship is to behave towards a horse in a way that it understands as the principles of Natural Horsemanship stem from the horse's own language and way of thinking.

Will that definition do, in a nutshell?

x

newrider.com