What can I use to get rid of flies wholeness in the stable/field?

Eloushka

Jun 2, 2017
My poor boy suffers from seeet itch and is always scratching agint things.
What can I use to keep the flies away???
**tried fly spray and a rug

Those sticky fly catchers in the stable? Different fly spray, some can work great on one horse but not the next so you need to try lots with different things in them.

I've heard folk use fans to keep a breeze in the stable but I'd be worried about fire risk.
Neem oil is good for soothing sore bits and taking the itch away as well as stinking so it helps with flies.
I'm not a sweet itch experienced person though so not sure if there's more you can do.

A proper sweet itch rug, worn all the time & get it on before the horrors appear or the itch-scratch cycle will already have started. Fly spray on him and the rug, fly cream on areas like the sheath.

Reactions: domane
Stables Ime during summer are a nightmare for horses/ponies with sweetitch, I use a sweetitch rug, elec fence around outside of paddock( or trees etc in paddock) , nettex itch stop, deosect used as fly spray( advised by vet) neem oil and anti histimines if lose control of the itch scratch cycle. x

Everything that's already been said, and also I know horses that have really been helped by being fed marmite.

newrider.com