Weekend thread.

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Currently out on a training walk, wondered what everyone else is up to this weekend?

Tomorrow I'm working down the yard for a couple of hours then off to my other job for 3/4 hours to cover. In the afternoon I'll be riding my share, practising for a prelim next week, eek! Then spending time with Ale and hopefully squeeze in another 4 mile walk.

Sunday I'm going to go for a nice hack first thing, then working for a couple of hours. In the afternoon I'm spending time with ale I need to sort his water trough for summer so hopefully will get that done and then I've pencilled in an 8 mile walk. Luckily I'm loving the walking currently!

Tending to Storm's needs, she has another week of box rest but the vet saw her yesterday and we can walk in hand for five minutes a day. I like to keep her occupied and feed little and often so atm I seem to be going out there more or less every hour with a handful of chop in a bucket or small slice of hay. Plus I have to move Zi behind the gate and let him come and go into his paddock and Chloe has to have the run of the yard if she wants. So in between this there isn't much else!lol but I am hoping to breakfast out with Mr T tomorrow after yard duties of course! And then into the town for some horse feed and some items from our favourite deli for evening meals.

Tending to Storm's needs, she has another week of box rest but the vet saw her yesterday and we can walk in hand for five minutes a day. I like to keep her occupied and feed little and often so atm I seem to be going out there more or less every hour with a handful of chop in a bucket or small slice of hay. Plus I have to move Zi behind the gate and let him come and go into his paddock and Chloe has to have the run of the yard if she wants. So in between this there isn't much else!lol but I am hoping to breakfast out with Mr T tomorrow after yard duties of course! And then into the town for some horse feed and some items from our favourite deli for evening meals.

How is she doing? It's very difficult when they are on box rest, to not overfeed but also keep them occupied. Good news that she's able to start walking.

Sam and I were meant to be doing a 9 mile ride tomorrow, in prep for a 20 mile day ride that Sam is booked in for at the end of May. However, last evening she spotted an advert for a pony for sale, this morning she took her daughter to try said pony (whilst I had to go to work!!!)...and tomorrow we are collecting him!

Sunday Gracie and I have our first SJ competition EVAH!! And finally using the new trailer for the first time.

That's good news about being able to walk Storm.
I've just been and collected the sheep. Left it a bit late to get them but it's only a 10 minute drive in the trailer so they weren't stressed. If my dates are right the first sheep is due tomorrow. She doesn't look bagged enough so I've left her out tonight.
Got to put hurdles in to make up some pens. And wash out two small areas which I will also use as lambing pens. But I'm relaxed now things are coming together.
Hopefully have some time to ride Billy and either drive Chunky or I have some chain harrowing to do on the area they've just come off. So i might try andagetgthat done. Can't see me having much horse play time once lambing.

I have a whole weekend to myself so I'd planned to ride both days and potter about doing some fencing and mowing if it stays dry enough, but with the development of strangles locally I might be scratching the rides, I can avoid the yard, but still not sure.

@Trewsers
When mine was on box rest I used that elimanet. That held her daytime portion of soaked hay 2.5kgs. Eight hours.
I was able to pick herbs and gave her a swede to nudge around. It was usually gone by morning.
I was surprised by how little hay she actually needed because the vet wanted weight off as well.

To be honest I think it's more for me I go out there every hour lol I just like to give her some company:oops::) even tho she has Chloe, I just like to go and brush her or
@Trewsers
When mine was on box rest I used that elimanet. That held her daytime portion of soaked hay 2.5kgs. Eight hours.
I was able to pick herbs and gave her a swede to nudge around. It was usually gone by morning.
I was surprised by how little hay she actually needed because the vet wanted weight off as well.
@Trewsers

I have a whole weekend to myself so I'd planned to ride both days and potter about doing some fencing and mowing if it stays dry enough, but with the development of strangles locally I might be scratching the rides, I can avoid the yard, but still not sure.
It's a shame it's not been eradicated with all the advances in vet stuff.
Our vet didn't think much to the vaccine.

Today I went for a long hack, Lottie seemed to really enjoy it. Then I went to the shopping for some new cross country boots for her, ended up spending £120 :oops:

Have left her put for the first time tonight, she was really content and happy and it's meant to be warm overnight. Might swap over and start leaving out overnight and bringing in in the morning.

Tomorrow I'll probably hack again and going to a horsey car boot. Really missing hunting, Saturday's aren't the same.

Have left her put for the first time tonight, she was really content and happy and it's meant to be warm overnight. Might swap over and start leaving out overnight and bringing in in the morning.
The in during the day and out overnight makes more sense to me having done it over winter.
Now it avoids the heat, flies high sugar grass, if you have a nice cool stable though. But they lived that way round all the time.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Glorious sunshine here! Breezy but still nice. Feeling warm and fuzzy having just had a delivery of hay, discussed the new fencing and have Swankies cooking in the oven right now. Life is good! Oh, and Mr T has just worked out how much clean stone we need for the school. And also, booked the man and machine to being levelling. Hurrah!:D:D And the madam walked out for five minutes in hand today - looking VERY good:D:D

It's a shame it's not been eradicated with all the advances in vet stuff.
Our vet didn't think much to the vaccine.

About twelve years ago when the vaccine was first produced I stupidly had J and S done. Never ever again. They were so ill:mad::mad:
Nobody warned us. It cost £45 per shot plus call out. And suddenly without any warning our vets stopped the whole thing:mad: what a huge waste of money and worst bit was knowing the horses had suffered for NOTHING:mad:

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Glorious sunshine here! Breezy but still nice. Feeling warm and fuzzy having just had a delivery of hay, discussed the new fencing and have Swankies cooking in the oven right now. Life is good! Oh, and Mr T has just worked out how much clean stone we need for the school. And also, booked the man and machine to being levelling. Hurrah!:D:D And the madam walked out for five minutes in hand today - looking VERY good:D:D

OHHH exciting to be planning the ring!!!

I get strangles vaccine every year>
Knock on wood all has always gone fine.

I do wonder if Strangles etc is why they have changed how we get a show/trail riding health certificate this year.
We used to get a show and trail riding season health certificate.
NOW you get a season cert BUT HAVE to list EVERY PLACE YOUR GOING.
You can add things but would have to call the vet get it added a vet has to sign off and you have to go pick up an updated list.

If things come up quick if you find out about something on Sunday the vets office said they are open til noon sat.

I don't go far but not thinking about the place near Jessy with strangle.
Maybe they if there is a problem want to know everyone that
was at a given place or if you want to ADD SOMTHING
and they know there is a problem there they can refuse to add it.????????
Its going make last minute things much harder but now thinking about it maybe its not so bad after all.;)

Good weekend so far
Woo Hoo Friday went to a new farm store and got to talking with
a kid that worked in there and there are barrel races and other things at a place I had Andi for some training years ago and its only a few streets from here:).
They did have something going on last and I was going to go check it out but we started to put Andi round pen paddock up
(we had picked up half the panels on thurs).
and we went with all 12 ft panels but neded a 10ft
to work for near hear gate in her laneway/.
WE went and picked up the balance of the panels and a 10 ft
late yesterday afternoon and just about dark got her rd pen paddock set :):):):););):D:D
Due to a bit of space restriction to still get to back of goats clubhouse its not totally round but the big thing is not having corners.

IMG_1792.JPG

IMG_1765.JPG

IMG_1790.JPG

IMG_1787.JPG

IMG_1783.JPG

IMG_1781.JPG

We have xtra panels to start small with a common area
connecting behind the rd pens to let them together as well:)

I went to a fabulous fun tack sale yesterday morning and got some really unique fun stuff.

The temp dropped like a rock late yesterday afternoon
and the next couple days will be nasty today will barely get above freezing if at all:mad::( and thankfully it has not gotten here yet but we are supposed to get freezing rain and sleet and the wind is horrible.
Tomorrow will be no picnic either
it will be warmer this nasty cold is supposed to be a one shot
back near 50f but horrible winds still and few inches of rain
BUT AT LEAST ITS NOT ***********SNOW*********

I do feel bad for runners or watchers of the Boston Marathon tomorrow its not going not be pleasant.

All the stuff left for getting Andi set up is now inside work
so hopefully it will be soon:).

This was not in the weekend plans but
Washington had manged to get a little abscess that popped ugh.
So he needed a little minor mommy surgery but thankfully
DADDY was home to hold him.

Funny boy was fine after
IMG_1756.JPG

HE was actually quite a good boy even when making sure it was all out.

He could not have been too upset with me or he would not have come and sat with me on the bench later on.
Today its looking great and no re filling/ We are keeping eye on him but if anything did/does not look fine he will go to the vet.
The vet was good with instructions though.
If weather cooperates ill do a bit more wood chips Sonnys inside perimeter is almost done.
Then Andi's needs to be started.

Reactions: Bodshi and Trewsers
newrider.com