Dismiss Notice

Hi, we hope you enjoy looking around New Rider. We are a very friendly board so don't feel afraid to ask your questions. Register now, say 'Hello' and join in the conversations.

We are going barefoot!

Discussion in 'Hoof Care' started by Mary Poppins, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Ziggy Learning together!

My trimmer too - barefoot is not for every horse.

I haven't used a farrier since Ziggy's abscess-cum-laminitis debâcle several years ago. My trimmer's attitude to laminitis is that it is usually recoverable, especially if you catch it early. I am hoping very much that will be the case this time!

2. chunky monkey

chunky monkey Well-Known Member

Remember you can have two horses feed exact the same and on exactly the same pasture but both grow hoof growth at different rates. As is the case with my two. Although there is an age difference admittedly. I have one that has not been touched in 2½ years. The other who's barefoot on the back and needs trimming every six weeks and has quite a bit taken off each trim.

3. joellie

joellie Well-Known Member

I am very lucky in that my trimmer is a qualified master farrier, had been for many years. He said though that he came to see what damage nailing a shoe on to the hoof did and he would never nail another shoe on a horse again.
    His page is very interesting, for anyone who would like a read here is a link to it https://www.equinepodiatryireland.com/

Mary Poppins likes this.
  4. Advert Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins Well-Known Member

Thank you. I will have a read. x

joellie likes this.
  6. Trewsers

Trewsers Well-Known Member

No, you shouldn't think or feel you could have tried harder. Some just aren't suitable, j was never ever going to manage. You just have to be sensible and do what's right and go with farrier / vet advice.

newforest likes this.
  7. newforest

newforest Why have grain, when you can have yummy grain

This is us. I have a farrier pop out maybe once every six- eight months.
    He just shapes and levels. I don't touch her hooves at all. I don't do any special diet or system either.
    Initially I had boots on the fronts when I started hacking, then changed to if it was over four miles. No longer use.

8. Prjsmk

Prjsmk Well-Known Member

Those that dont have a farrier on the usual time scale... What do u do about chips and broken bits? P often comes off a hack with a broken flap looking bit, i get the farrier every ten week, he always says "u dont need me this often" but hate his feet looking broken... Not bad breaks he had good feet, just if hes tripped or hit a rock wrong on some of the rocky uneven tracks

9. joellie

joellie Well-Known Member

I have a radius rasp which is small and easy to use. I don't have to use it too often but its great for those times he gets the odd chip.

10. chunky monkey

chunky monkey Well-Known Member

What chips and breaks? Obviously depends on horse. I hack on roads and stoney rough tracks and my horses have very rarely had any chips being barefoot. I have seen horses with very bad splits so im not saying it doesn't happen. I've seen some awful splits on horses that are shod.
    I think it's also down to general management.

The FREE site for selling smallholdings, farms and rural properties