Vintage horsebox:)

tikkitti

Mar 8, 2015
Today whilst stuck in a traffic jam I passed a old T reg Bedford TK with wooden box with living that was travelling in the slow lane (looked quite tidy too), i used to spend many a school holiday and weekend camping in one, it was my second home, lol:) It got me thinking though it's a classic now really, and there can't be many left. How olds the oldest working horsebox you know, I would worry about reliability but that's maybes just me as I worry far too much, lol. x

We had one. It was parked on a downhill drive. OH had the passenger door open when something apparently vital went ping and the wagon started rolling down the drive heading for the road and the big ditch on the other side. So what does Mr C do? Only try and stop the thing. Luckily the door he was holding onto jammed on the gatepost thus ending the eejit versus lorry before lorry won. We got it up to a flat side of the drive just by jumping it. We swapped it with a horsey acquaintance for a horse.

I shouldn't have been surprised. The pillock did once take the gearbox out of a series 2 Landy using a garden fork.

Reactions: tikkitti
We had one. It was parked on a downhill drive. OH had the passenger door open when something apparently vital went ping and the wagon started rolling down the drive heading for the road and the big ditch on the other side. So what does Mr C do? Only try and stop the thing. Luckily the door he was holding onto jammed on the gatepost thus ending the eejit versus lorry before lorry won. We got it up to a flat side of the drive just by jumping it. We swapped it with a horsey acquaintance for a horse.

I shouldn't have been surprised. The pillock did once take the gearbox out of a series 2 Landy using a garden fork.
HAHAHA brilliant :D

I know a lot of people who retired their TK's because getting parts was more and more difficult rather than them being unreliable :(

My friend had a little bedford. That carried 2 ponies, no idea what it was called but they literally went everywhere in it. They had it many years and unlike a lot of the more modern transits with containers theirs was like the TK but a mini version:) x

I had an old Bedford tk, AFE 428X I think his number plate was. Not an easy drive, we upgraded to a MAN, with power steering :D lol!

How sad:( I noticed a A reg box at a local livery I was at earlier today, I'm now on the look out for old or classic horseboxes, wonder how many are actually still out there? x

I have a C reg Leyland Roadrunner that carries three horses. She's not beautiful to look at but is sound, reliable, moves smoothly and has the best turning circle! She was maroon but is slowly turning grey as the paint wears off to expose the aluminium sides. We have made some great memories together.

newrider.com