Vet vs Farrier. Opinions, advice and NR vibes

Had the farrier for posy today, He wasn't concerned at all, ( there was me worrying all morning that he was gutting to shake his head and give me a bad verdict!!) crack was chopped out along with hole and shoes ( fronts) popped on. She strode away perfect on the hardcore at the yard, sound as a pound. I hope you have a good outcome to x

Well 2nd farrier was sort of in the middle: he personally thinks a resection will be necessary in the end but is happy to try and avoid it with a wait and see approach. He was much more measured : able to discuss pros and cons of the 2 approaches and saying both made sense and it was basically up to me. He thinks it is as clean as its going to get and has now plugged it with microbial putty. Oscar is now sound. Hurrah. But I know that there is a long way to go!
He also trimmed and said Oscars feet were not balanced. Vet said that too but farrier reckons he has significantly improved things in that regard. I really liked his manner with Oscar (very quiet and calm).

So is he able to be ridden if he is sound, or do you have to wait?

Situations where there is no right or wrong answer are so difficult but I am pleased you have found a farrier you can work with.xx.

No one seems to know for sure! It"s where the white line is so it's a natural weak spot. Vet thinks small amounts of dirt/grit started to penetrate and once inside acted as a wedge/scourer to make it wider and deeper. Farrier says dirt got in and then anaerobic bacteria ate away the horn from the inside. Unfortunately I think farrier is right as there was not really anything to see from the outside until you started digging around and realised how wide and deep the crack was inside. So I have a sense of this not resolving without the resect but as long as a credible person is telling me that is avoidable then I'll go with it.
Yes he can be ridden if sound. The extra pressure won't make any difference and stimulating the hoof encourages growth. I suspect he will be up and down in terms of soundness. Turn out is more of a problem as we need to keep the crack clean and dry but we are managing to get him out for a few hours each day. There is a free range pony at the yard who won't be tied up. He just wanders around. Oscar is now out with him! They are up by the hitch rails by the arena where the rs ponies are tied up and can go up a track towards the fields but can't get into the muddy fields as they are gated. So the ground is dry and firm not muddy and he has pony company.

thats how posys crack evolved, from a teeny bit of stone chip grit that had worked its way up the inside of the hoof wall impacted more and more as time went on, opening the crack up further. Luckily hers could be cut away completely. Her feet are really solid, shes been barefoot all summer driving.. its amazing what damage a little bit of grit can do !!

I'd be interested to see pics kpnut, if you have time, hank has quite severe WLD appeared (though he is still sound) and I haven't yet had the farrier look at it, I've just been cleaning it and trimming to prevent flare of the weakened area.

Well he is still lame and the vet and farrier agree now that re-secting is needed. Plus there is now a crack in the OTHER hoof. Tiny from the outside with a huge hole inside where buggering bugs have eaten it. So 2 resections scheduled. :(:(:(:(
Vet will see and scan/ xray next week then come up with a plan with the farrier. Poor Oscar. But he does look quite funky in his new boots!

He was sound so I turned him out with his friends. He rolled extravagantly then neighed and galloped at top speed to all his friends, bucking and farting all the way. Yes BUCKING. As in total weight onto sore, poorly feet. Silly pony. So he's lame again! The new farrier is being very reassuring and shown me photographs of re-sects he has done that look horrific but actually are fine as in pony is sound and pain free - just needs supportive shoes till the hooves grow back again.

Reactions: Jessey
Sending lots of good vibes. I had never heard of this procedure. Will he have to go to the horsepital? I had a quick google - it looks like a proper op? Sorry to hear it has come to this but hoping it will keep him pain free. And also sorry to hear the other foot has a crack now too. Bummer. Sending loads of healing vibes.

What rotten luck! He's such a cutie., healing vibes heading your way. Who's the new farrier by the way? I know you're not too far from when I used to live.

@Trewsers, unless it's a massive resection then it wouldn't normally be a hospital job. The hoof wall isn't a sensitive structure - obviously - & neither is the layer immediately under it. I've had quite large amounts of wall removed to get at infection & it's always been an at home job with no sedation or pain relief needed. Horse didn't give a damn, just wanted to inspect the swabs we packed it with in case they ate him!

newrider.com