Valerian

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I've bought some Lincoln valerian cordial for Storm to help keep her chilled - mainly because she's re injured the tendon, Zi wants her to play, Chloe just wants everyone to be together and they can't be and also because the stuff aimed at mares like oestress did nothing.
It says on the bottle two teaspoons full but that does not seem very much?? Anyone used it? Or know if I can give more?

Ah right thanks guys. It just seemed such a teensy amount! Mmm. Not sure it has worked but she does not seem quite so strung out about being kept in overnight and limited during the day. Anything to keep her leg rested really as it has well and truly gone pear shaped last week:(

Ah right thanks, I didn't realise. Lol hopefully she will be less full of herself and get that leg rested! Atm she is waving it about at Zi who poor lad is on the other side of the gate. Argh.

I never actually found the cordial much cop to be honest :( ......I always have a store of valerian root to hand for any iffy moments with any of them when co-operation is essential. It has worked on one of my donkeys in particular that even Sedalin wouldn't help him over his terrific fear of the farrier poor little chap (the donkey not the farrier :D! ) . But it must be remembered that If you OD them on it (well the root anyway) it can actually have the opposite effect and they can get very hyper and stressed as they fight it and it can also lower their blood pressure quite drastically in large doses, so considerably more powerful than a lot of people realise. Brilliant bit of kit to have in your medicine box but be sure you proceed slowly and with caution.

Reactions: Trewsers
I never actually found the cordial much cop to be honest :( ......I always have a store of valerian root to hand for any iffy moments with any of them when co-operation is essential. It has worked on one of my donkeys in particular that even Sedalin wouldn't help him over his terrific fear of the farrier poor little chap (the donkey not the farrier :D! ) . But it must be remembered that If you OD them on it (well the root anyway) it can actually have the opposite effect and they can get very hyper and stressed as they fight it and it can also lower their blood pressure quite drastically in large doses, so considerably more powerful than a lot of people realise. Brilliant bit of kit to have in your medicine box but be sure you proceed slowly and with caution.

Oh goodness, didn't know that about the sort of anti-effect. Mind you, I have heard sedolin can be similar? If they are fighting it? I won't increase it then, best if I stick to the recommended dose. I think I might buy some sedolin from the vet to have on hand just in case. I know she responds well to that and it is handy to take th edge off her first turnout when she's been in her box a while.

Reactions: Cortrasna
I used the wendals calmer when I was trying to keep jess quieter in the field, it has valerian root and chamomile and a few other bits in, and it worked a treat, after about a week on the full dose I cut back to half so a £20 tub lasted a good couple of months :)

Reactions: Trewsers
I used the wendals calmer when I was trying to keep jess quieter in the field, it has valerian root and chamomile and a few other bits in, and it worked a treat, after about a week on the full dose I cut back to half so a £20 tub lasted a good couple of months :)

That sounds like it might be worth a go for us. I think it will be a while though until she gets back into the field:(she looks awful, I've tried to book the vet in for scanning asap, because I fear the worst might be looming:(

Oh no, lots of healing and calming vibes coming her way xx

Thanks, I'm trying to get the vet that has been seeing her out and scan it. I really need to know one way or the other now if it's a lost cause:(there is only so many days and nights I can keep her in and today she looks awful:(

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com