Vaccinations..UPDATE

@joellie

You can ask your vet to price match before you get a prescription. My vets are 1.12 per tab and me ordering after prescription costs and delivery costs was 1.10. If you point this out to them they generally will match as hey are getting it cheaper than 98p per tab ;)
Thanks, yes I was thinking along the same lines, that's why I am waiting to boss vet man gets back ;)

Reactions: MrC
Yes I am hoping that when he is retested in 6 weeks times we maybe able to lower his dose? My wee one is 33 years old and has cushings, he is on one tablet a day and he seems happy and well in himself, but he is a fully retired gentleman now so I don't know what way to handle Marley ridden wise?? He has been a lazy bugger some days and then on form others but I am ashamed to say that I did push him on a bit a times as I thought he was just pissing about as he is very opinionated and can be nappy if allowed. Now I am going to be torn if he is just being lethargic because of the cushings or if he is trying it on when he is lazy or sluggish. I rode him last night and he was in fab form the best in a long time he even gave a wee excited buck when I asked for canter :)

The other thing which is a bit of a shock is when I went to buy the pergolide which is what I always get from them for my wee man they told me they can no longer get it and I now have to buy Prascend and as we all know it is a lot more expensive, so now not only do i have the increase in price per month for the tablets but I also have to provide for 2 horses instead of one :( but I would pay triple the amount if it keeps them both well.

I've only ever had Prascend for Chloe - I actually thought it was same as pergolide? But it is expensive, I think ours is about £80 for a months supply. I am not looking forward to paying double if Storm ever tests positive:eek: but, it does work and that is the main thing.
Hmm, tis tricky what to say about riding him - and knowing if he is being a bit lazy or if it is the Cushings. I think bodshi on here has experience with having a ridden horse that is Cushings. Hopefully she'll seethis thread.

Reactions: joellie
Oh boo, sorry to hear he's positive :( at least there is lots of info and knowledge on it now and Prascend does help in so many cases.

Jess was diagnosed at 9 too, vet was adamant she didn't have it but I had a gut feeling, she was very borderline at her first test at just 29.8 when the cut off was 28 but her (albeit unusual) symptoms made us go with the drugs, I then weaned her off it a year later and put her back on 2 years after that. Lethargy hasn't been a symptom she showed really so I don't treat her any different riding wise, if she did something for more than a few days thats out of character I'd have the vet run more tests but its been difficult with her as tests often give false negatives so we manage her based on symptoms.

I've always brought my Prascend from my vets, its £38.88 for 30 tabs so £1.30 each, first time I've worked that out so think I'll probably get a script to buy them online in future :) I just checked viovet, at 98p on regular delivery (which is free when you spend £29) plus my vets £18.50 script charge its going to save me 26p a tablet, so worth doing :)

@Bodshi I will have to be careful and try to work out when he is tired or just trying to get out of work;)

It's a tricky one isn't it? When Raf was first 'off' - before he was diagnosed - I thought something was wrong because he just didn't seem to have any 'joy' in his life. I'd take him for a canter in the stubble and instead of raring to go, I'd be having to ask him for canter. It wasn't that he refused to do anything, he did exactly what I asked him, but he was just too 'good'. Other people on the yard thought it was me - they suggested that because I felt a bit down about it I was making Raf feel down too, if you see what I mean.

Nowadays I can take him for a hack and be really worried that he doesn't feel right going away from home, then when we turn towards home he suddenly perks up and I feel an idiot for thinking that there was something wrong with him! On the other hand he never used to be eager to get home so maybe there is something different! If only they could talk ... :rolleyes:

When my buddy was diagnosed with navicular I decided to retire him. The vets advice was : in order for him to continue working he can only hack out in walk in straight lines on the flat. Aside from this not conforming to the countryside here I was more concerned that I'd never be sure if he was in pain or just didn't fancy going out. I don't for one minute suggest that retirement is the best option, just that for me and my best friend it has worked out well, he's happy as larry in his non-career life of riley, I'm happy because he is, only down side is its an expensive choice if you then want to continue riding i.e.: retirement livery, purchase of new horse + livery etc. etc.

Nowadays I can take him for a hack and be really worried that he doesn't feel right going away from home, then when we turn towards home he suddenly perks up and I feel an idiot for thinking that there was something wrong with him! On the other hand he never used to be eager to get home so maybe there is something different! If only they could talk ... :rolleyes:

This has happened to me on a few occasions too...Yes if only they could talk but then again I don't know if that would be a good thing as I could Imagine Marley and me squabbling like kids :rolleyes::D

newrider.com