Dismiss Notice

Hi, we hope you enjoy looking around New Rider. We are a very friendly board so don't feel afraid to ask your questions. Register now, say 'Hello' and join in the conversations.

Using an older saddle?

Discussion in 'Tack & Saddlery' started by Hoof_hearted, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Hoof_hearted

Hoof_hearted Member

Evening everyone. Just out of curiosity if anyone uses an older style English saddle?
    I dont really know alot about saddles and my one dosn't have a makers Mark. (There is a metal plate under the skirt of the saddle however whatever was written there is well worn away, just a bit of green left)
    I do know that it's clearly a bit dated do they even make saddles without knee rolls these days?
    Is it maybe time to invest in something new?
    I'll take some pictures of my saddle tomorrow and hopefully someone could shine a light as to what make it is.
    20170912_200028.png

2. Jessey

Jessey Well-Known Member

If its sound (tree/flocking) and fits the horse I see no reason not to use it if you are comfortable in it :)

3. Hoof_hearted

Hoof_hearted Member

Its been a well cared for saddle, I realised today I don't actually need a fancy saddle as all I really do is hack with the occasional jump at home.
    Totally forgot to get pictures today! But I was browsing eBay and came across a Christie by barnsby and think possibly my saddle could be that (deffinately similar)

Jessey likes this.
  4. Advert Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. Skib

Skib Well-Known Member

I dont know what your saddle is but it doesnt look very different from ones I have ridden in in UK.
    There are several people on NR who prefer more traditional English saddles. Because the open design allows room for plumper seats, and movement of the rider in the saddle, and maximises the area of contact between the rider and the horse.
    You can find in books on saddlery and probably on line explanations of why this is. Sometimes they are called training saddles.
    You need to think about your saddle in a positive way, thinking of its advantages. (Not the negative side) Then decide whether or not you are happy to ride in it. If your saddle is in good repair and fits your horse, as Jessie says, there is no problem. I too had a look on line and noticed steeple chasing saddles with a flat forward flap like yours!
    The other issue might be safety. I have a bareback lesson once a year - I am not dependent on the saddle to hold me balanced on the back of the horse. My weight is on my seat. But in the UK there are other styles of riding and of holding a position on the horse. It is my impression that modern shaped saddles assist in maintaining this position. Whether fr or dressage or jumping. But they make me stiff and uncomfortable.

Hoof_hearted likes this.
  6. Blue Moon

Blue Moon Member

Hi

The main thing I would worry about with an older saddle would be the width of the gullet.

As long as you can fit the width of four fingers all the way along it that's not a problem.

Hoof_hearted and mystiquemalaika like this.
  7. MrC

MrC https://m.facebook.com/MrKiasLife/

As long as it fits and is sound then why not???

No harm being done and if you like it then who cares :)

8. eml

eml Moderator

I love older Barnsby and other British saddles.The only problem you may find is that the postion of the stirrrup bar may push your legs forward.

The FREE site for selling smallholdings, farms and rural properties