Upsetting experience going to see a horse for sale

Best bet is to take you instructor they know your abilities.
Remember it is a lot easier to buy a horse than it is to sell, so ask lots of questions and don't take things at face value too many rogues out there.
Good luck, what an exciting time for you hope you find your dream horse

Don't worry at all. Sounds like we are in a very similar situation. Same age and very similar background and I too am looking to my first horse (sort of). I can tell you - as I'm sure others have and will - it's a minefield. And I've now been looking for nearly 2 years! I actually committed and bought something in november after looking at lots of horses, and beginning to realise that everyone's idea of a confidence giver that is suitable for a novice is different. Hopefully this will make you laugh... amongst what I've been to see have been:
A '15.2' mare that turned out to be about 13h and had a foal that was unweaned and chased me about all over...
A 'quiet confidence giver' which began bucking and throwing itself about while she was showing me it and then she asked me if I wanted a go...
A gelding that could hardly walk but was described as being 'calm' later turned out it had broken part of its foot...

And when I eventually bought one from somewhere that had good reviews etc (like described above). It ended up taking off with me, throwing itself around when I was on it and barging me around in his stable. I had him for about 10 days before having a meltdown and being sent all the way back to square 1.

All I will say is im sure it will happen for you. And I really hope it will happen for me too but be careful out there and don't believe it until you see it for yourself and even then don't make the same mistake that I did and take first viewing for granted - make sure you're 100% happy before you commit to something.

Good luck with everything and pm me if you ever want a rant about how hard it is. I'm right there with you! Haha

Ther are an awful lot of bad sellers but also bad buyers! In the past I have had to rescue people who had not even tried the horse they bought or bought one because it walked down a road with her without being on a leadrein. Buyer beware but buyer also needs to be honest and take an advisor.

Even the most savvy buyer can get into problems. I recount to many people the attempt I made to buy my daughter a 21st present of a special horse, despite me describing my needs in detail ( talented daughter then at university so had to be safe for not very strong me to handle on a daily basis and to go a few days without work). Arrived to see horse who proceeded to cart 6'3 fit man down yard and then when we said 'not for us' were asked to watch him ride. agreed the horse had talent in spades when it occasionally had four legs on the ground, rider commented he hadn't had time to ride the day before. We made our excuses and left,no doubt being describe as 'timewasters'!! Went and bought her a car and a 'cheap' ex racer ( for less total money than the first horse!) who she retrained and qualified for all sorts of national competitions from sidesaddle to WH/SJ

Reactions: misty
newrider.com