Upsetting experience going to see a horse for sale

Heart

Sep 1, 2016
Hi, I have been reading this forum for some time and really appreciate all the kind members who post on here. It has been really helpful and encouraging. I had a bad experience which has really shook my confidence and I decided to create an account and post about it. I hope someone can help me to understand why it went so badly.

My background is I used to ride as a child and teenager but have just this year started again, age 29, after a lot of years not riding at all. I have had some health issues to overcome, some still ongoing, so returning has been a big deal for me. My partner has also started riding and he is enjoying it. We have been taking private lessons together but we have been wondering about getting a horse to share and ride in between lessons. I was looking up some for sale online and came across a yard fairly near me which sells horses. It had lots of great reviews so I thought maybe they would be a good place to go to find the a horse. I rang up and they told me to come up.

When we got there it was actually quite a run down place with what looked like derelict buildings. Only three people were there who own and run the place I think. We were told that actually only one horse would be suitable, a little 14hh cob. I said a few times I thought he was a bit small for us, me being tall and curvy. They insisted he'd be fine and said he was perfect, quiet, kids can ride him, does everything but great for even beginners to ride.

So I said I would try riding him, which is where the nightmare began. Whilst I've been getting on from the ground ok in lessons (on a 15.2 horse), on him the stirrup leathers were really short and couldn't be dropped very low. I asked to use the mounting block and they said I could but gave me strange looks. He wouldn't walk straight when led, which meant there was a big gap between him and the mounting block. He didn't want to stand still. I managed but when I got on I fell forward over his neck a little. He then would not settle. He started shifting and moving, it felt like he didn't want me on him and I thought he was going to buck. I very nearly got off. They mentioned something about it not being his normal saddle. When I picked up the reins he hated it and started backing up, the only way to stop him was to pretty much have no contact on the reins. They started shouting at me to kick him on and steer him, which was hard because I couldn't have much contact on the reins. He still didn't want to walk straight. After walking for a while which just felt weird, I didn't feel like I had control or felt safe, she told me to try trotting him, which was really bad because my stirrups were far too short. She impatiently said well we'll adjust them then and put them to the bottom hole, but she told me to pull the leathers down for her because if she pulled them down he didn't like her pulling?? On the very bottom hole they didn't lie flat, but it was an ok length. I rode him a bit longer but I didn't feel safe and told her it didn't feel right. I got off, he rubbed/itched his face on me pushing me a little and I tried to lead him, which was also a struggle, he didn't want to walk straight or nicely with me.

She told one of the other two women there to ride him, who they said was the one who normally rode him. He did the face rub/push thing to her before she got on. She got on him and he seemed better with her riding but she had a schooling whip and she was whipping him every second or two, I could hear the snapping constantly. I commented on it and the woman said she hates people who kick and tells people to "tickle" them instead with the whip.

Finally, my partner tried a short walk on him. They told him to not use the reins, to keep his hands still on the pommel, to not pull at all and to kick him on. They told him to look left to get him to turn left, not to use his hands. He said it felt strange and not like we're being taught to ride.

We left, trying to be polite. After we drove away I broke down in tears. They had looked at me like I was the worst rider ever, like I had failed to ride the easiest horse ever and I could just see their judgement. They were probably ridiculing me after we left. I was completely honest with them about our riding experience, I told them I had just started riding again after not riding for years and that my partner was new to riding. They knew our situation, I told them on the phone and when we got there.

The thing is I have felt confident in lessons. The horse I have been riding has felt good and I have been walking, trotting, cantering, trotting over poles, around cones and in circles. Everything has been going well. I have felt comfortable, apart from getting achey and a bit out of breath from all the trotting, which I think is normal, especially given my health situation. Riding this cob felt unsafe, uncomfortable and wrong. My partner said my riding looks fluid during lessons but didn't on this horse we went to see. My confidence has really been knocked and I don't know how I feel about going for my lesson this weekend.

A couple of other things. My partner said that when this cob was walking his back feet were catching his front. Also, I know he has been for sale for a while. He also didn't seem all that friendly despite them saying he was great.

Can anyone help me understand what happened and why it went so wrong? Thank you for reading.

Don't worry, loads of people trying to sell horses are complete shysters. It's very weird saying you can't have any contact at all with the horse's mouth. He's obviously not the right horse for you, so don't worry. Trust me - a bad experience trying a horse that was not as described in the advert is sooooooo common! I tried some absolute horrors when I was looking - really broken down, feeling like they'd bronk me off any second, you name it - and all of them were described as 'novice rides' etc in the adverts. Sometimes they're described as 'novice rides' either because they're not capable of doing much and therefore anyone even vaguely competitive wouldn't be interested, or because the seller knows that the only person naive enough to buy the horse at all would be an absolute novice.

Don't be upset. I'd strongly advise taking a riding instructor or experienced horse person with you when looking at horses to buy though, or you're a target for being ripped off.

You don't say whether you have owned before, just ridden before.
Maybe you could look into a loan / share from your current yard? Assuming this is where you plan to keep your own? Then you can have lessons on your own plus school horses.

It's not the right horse for you, mine likes a light contact and you do use your body to stop and turn, no rein. But you can touch her mouth.

The sellers weren't exactly helpful by having the wrong saddle.

You don't say whether you have owned before, just ridden before.
Maybe you could look into a loan / share from your current yard? Assuming this is where you plan to keep your own? Then you can have lessons on your own plus school horses.

It's not the right horse for you, mine likes a light contact and you do use your body to stop and turn, no rein. But you can touch her mouth.

The sellers weren't exactly helpful by having the wrong saddle.

The yard I'm learning at has liveries but none available to loan or share. I have been looking at other yards in my area because for livery at my riding school you have to pay per bale of straw and per bale of hay and per day for any turnout needed and it seems more difficult than other yards which have that all included...

I have loaned before when I was a teenager, never owned. I have been looking for a loan or share too but the ones in my area say 'not a novice ride' and 'looking for someone to bring him/her on' and 'must be experienced'. I thought I would just look into buying and only went along to this yard because she sounded so positive she had horses that would be really good for us on the phone.

About turning without reins and light rein contact - are there two styles of English riding? I really don't understand. I tried searching online and all I could see was pages saying you need to build better rein contact when you do dressage, so I thought well maybe how I ride is ok then. I don't know how to ride without using reins.

People have different views on contact - you need to ride with a contact if you do dressage, unless you've taught your horse collection without it (not sure that's possible!), but some leisure riders don't see it as a necessary thing at all. Personally, I wouldn't be interested in a horse that was unhappy with a contact on its mouth (although obviously I don't mean clumsy yanking at the bit.) It could be indicative of bad teeth, mouth injuries, or poor bitting - not insurmountable problems but would put me off a horse if I was looking to buy.

SOunds like Charlotte Du Jardin could have got on it and it would have given her bother, Never worry, Do you really take to heart a bunch of strangers opinions who are, by the sound of it a bit rough and ready.

Chin up chuck, they sound like bullshitters to me.

What you are describing doesn't sound like a novice horse, I'd try not to take it to heart and if you felt too big for him, well the size you are comfortable on is a personal choice.
Going forward its always good to take an RI or someone very experienced with you and always get the seller to ride first so you can see what you are dealing with and walk away if you don't feel its for you, buying horses is a mine field, you'll probably have 5 or 10 viewings of unsuitable horses/not as advertised/ones you don't click with for every 1 that goes well :)

Don;t worry! You have done nothing wrong. You just were unfortunate enough to come across bad dealers who just sell anything to anyone and blame the rider for any problems with the horse. Get used to it and grow a thick skin!!

Actually I can't talk - I have never got used to it and I am as thin-skinned as ever but I know I shouldn't be and I wish I wasn't!

Story for you: While searching for a pony for my novice and nervous 10 year old daughters we went to see 'a Saint'. The 'Saint' would not stand still to be mounted or when mounted. He was very forward and fidgety but the owner said 'well you don;t want a plod do you'. When we got to the field (there was no arena) the owner's daughter trotted and cantered a bit then popped a x pole from canter (well from gallop really). I asked her to trot the pony over the pole but she galloped over it again. My daughter pulled a scared face at me as if to say 'help do I have to ride'. The woman saw her face and started yelling abuse at both of us saying we were total time-wasters who obviously didn't want the pony anyway and should sod off where we came from! As we were leaving I tried to remain civil and said the pony looked very nice, but I didn't think the pony was a good match for my daughter. She gave my daughter a filthy look and said' yes well there is nothing wrong with THE PONY'.

About turning without reins and light rein contact - are there two styles of English riding? I really don't understand. I tried searching online and all I could see was pages saying you need to build better rein contact when you do dressage, so I thought well maybe how I ride is ok then. I don't know how to ride without using reins.
Everyone rides different, every horse is different. I don't do dressage so I don't ride into a contact. She knows I'm there though I have a feel.
The thing is your instinct kicked in, it's not the right horse. If you want to get off, get off. It's a lot of money buying a horse you only look at because you don't like to ride.

Welcome by the way :)

Reactions: Kite_Rider
what a shame :( take heart - they sound really dodgy and you had a lucky escape. Just take your time, try and help out/ride as many different types as you can in the meantime.

Reactions: lauren123 and Heart
You were actually very brave to get on this horse without seeing someone else ride first. I've made that mistake too in the past - there's nothing like going to see 'safe, sensible horses suitable for a complete novice' to open your eyes to the kind of things that go on in the horse-selling world.

Bear in mind that any reputable seller would want to ensure that you and the horse are a good match before you even get anywhere near getting on board. Making you feel uncomfortable says that these people were just after your cash with no interest in whether or not the horse was right for you. And as for mounting from the ground - well, most people would say that it isn't good for the horse's back and using a mounting block is the preferred method.

Whereabouts in the country are you? There are lots of people on here who love to assist with a bit of horsey shopping, and there might be someone local-ish who knows of something suitable.

I agree with @hormonalmare I never ever EVER get on a horse first in a viewing. And I have walked away from several without getting on based on how badly the horse behaved with the owner! I learnt that lesson the hard way.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
PLEASE don't feel bad about yourself. Some dealers will do anything rather than admit than that the horse might not be right for you.

I didn't take my RI with me when I bought my pony. So I bought on impulse a pony who, while a lovely, lovely person, was (and still is) not an ideal choice for a novice owner. I still own him 6 years later, I adore him, and we have grown together - but I am a confident sort of person and I have a very supportive and non-judgmental teacher.

Don't go out there on your own, there are lions and hyenas. And if you feel uncomfortable, don't blame yourself. A good dealer should offer you the right horse for you, not rubbish you because you are not right for the horse they have!

I once went to try a pony and came home feeling really rubbish. My riding was so bad (so they implied) they asked if could actually do rising trot and said I'd be better with a neck strap. Hmm. Don't let it bother you. Sometimes you have to kiss a lot of frogs before finding the right one.

Reactions: Heart
Thank you for all of the kind replies that have made me laugh too, I'm really glad I posted about it now :)

After a couple of days of feeling a bit overwhelmed by the challenges - and costs - of horses and wondering whether to resign myself to just riding school lessons/hacks, I found myself looking at horse ads again today. I must have the horse bug.

Squidsin, I am starting to learn about the different views on rein contact from reading online, I think I must have had instructors with a dressage influence when I was young without realising because the descriptions sound just like the way I ride, how I hold my arms and hands and the rein contact I have. On my first lesson back I had forgotten how much contact to have and I was scared to use too much, but with my instructor's help it has all come back to me. Your horse advert guide made me laugh, definitely need to think carefully about the wording of adverts!

newforest, thank you :) I probably should have got off and just left, it was that awkward thing of feeling rude that kept me there. I need to be braver in these situations and just say goodbye and walk away.

Wally, thank you for making me laugh!

Jessey, I do love Dales ponies and some ponies I would consider owning, but he just looked and felt too small.

KP nut, I really do need to get used to things like that too, I am getting better as I get older. Having health issues actually helped a lot with that and put a lot of small things that used to bother me into perspective :) the owners of the 'Saint' sound horrible! I hope your daughter wasn't too upset by it! It's bad enough being rude like that to adults.

hormonalmare, my friend said the same thing today actually. I did go thinking I need to ask them to ride first, but after tacking him up the woman said 'go on then hop on! he won't do anything!' in her shrill voice and I just caved. I have read about mounting blocks being better for the horse and it makes me feel a lot better ;) I'm North Yorkshire/Durham area if anyone can help!

Jane&Ziggy I was thinking about asking for my instructor's help. She has been great helping me back into riding and she has some really nice horses so I think I will do that. My friend who has had a horse for years has offered to come along too.

Trewsers I wouldn't have been surprised if they'd said the same to me!

Gimp, I really, really should have done that haha. I just sent your website to my friend who has been wanting some jewellery made from the horse hair she has from her lovely horse who died earlier this year, so I'm glad you have your link in your signature.

I'm going to talk to my instructor about all of this and see what she says. I'll keep looking for the right horse for sale or loan, but I think I'll stick to private sales, keep the budget down so I can afford a vetting and be extra cautious about which ones I go to see.

Don't completely discount a dealer @Heart - I bought my lovely girl from a dealer and she was everything they said and then some, not all dealers are ruthless people.
I'm glad you are taking someone with you in future and remember 'you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince' :) Good luck and keep us posted.

Sometimes I find a horse finds you.

My first horse was moved to my friends yard to be sold.
In fact she ticked just one box, the most important box.
Been there, seen it, done it. If I havent I don't care and I'm not fussed either. :)

Reactions: Heart and Trewsers
I'm really glad we helped!

Having your RI help you look for a horse is a great idea. I should have done that and bought one that was more suitable! But as it is, I have learned masses from Ziggy, so sometimes things turn out right.

newrider.com