Update and before pics

MrC

https://m.facebook.com/MrKiasLife/
Nov 10, 2014
Uk
m.facebook.com
well it’s been nearly three weeks since I got a Shock after removing Kia’s rug to find a horrid weight loss.

Four feeds a day plus hay seems to be making a difference no end in a short space of time. He is getting the rest of this week on four then I’ll go down to three to see how he is.

We are also another week on 1+1/4 mg Prascend before I try him with 1/2. This is where we got to the last time and he went all depressed so hoping it’s not the case this time.

I have decided after seeing his coat full of scurf and flakes and bumps again that I will be clipping him. His coat is too soft and thick, it’s weird as it feels lovely but it’s not doing what horse hair should be doing and it’s too soft to offer much of anything I think. So it’s coming off. I’ve brought him in to dry him off before I groom him ready for clipping tomorrow. It’s not that nice up here but very mild so I’ll get it done before the freezing cold hits tomorrow night.

Pics taken today

9F992338-C819-4ADB-8F3F-04F5BC923A5B.jpeg C17E0732-004C-4A7B-907D-8F8A795C4518.jpeg A7037644-9A94-434C-B97C-497D9C591975.jpeg A362D5F1-EE84-42CE-8AA8-5BB108B3BA76.jpeg

He's looking much better MrC, and I know just what you mean about the coat. I don't envy you trying to clean that face up, he's done a good job there!

Reactions: MrC
He does look better :) I'm glad he's perked up

Now you mention that I remember pheonix' coat going silky in his later years, which then progressed into the long shaggy cushings coat which I had to clip all year round.

Well @carthorse it took some scrubbing and him trying to pretend he’s a giraffe :rolleyes:

Now I have him semi clean I’ve popped a stable rug on him and I’ll give him another going over before plaiting his mane as much as I can then I’ll get started :)

I think there is a quite marked improvement - especially loving his nicely rounded bum :) Sniggering quietly here at that muddy face - the Dolls favourite trick and then does the giraffe thing when I am trying to clean it, got to love these oldies, up to every trick in the book. :D

I think there is a quite marked improvement - especially loving his nicely rounded bum :) Sniggering quietly here at that muddy face - the Dolls favourite trick and then does the giraffe thing when I am trying to clean it, got to love these oldies, up to every trick in the book. :D

Yep he has that down pat lol I was coughing, wiping it out of my eyes, it’s up my nose and down my top hahah he’s an old bugger.

I came across pics of him this time last year and it’s a marked difference

6968D66E-1CDD-41B6-9052-0E859DC3A56E.jpeg 6DD5B2BE-E012-4998-A835-8F6FCF588A71.jpeg

Well, bless him, he is certainly looking much better than he did a few weeks ago. He does look his age now though doesn't he? No offence - you know I think you do brilliantly by him and he's a very lucky boy to be so well looked after x

Well, bless him, he is certainly looking much better than he did a few weeks ago. He does look his age now though doesn't he? No offence - you know I think you do brilliantly by him and he's a very lucky boy to be so well looked after x

No I agree the last 12 months I have noticed a distinct difference in him. He is 26 for all I know W it could be 36 in all reality according to the vets he has arthritis in his neck and possibly in his left knee and shoulder, again I have broken my Meds rule again and put him in a sachet of Danilon daily between morning and breakfast.

He is still full of cheek and temperament and still being Kia, he isn’t glassy Eyed or dull, I think the coat is making him look worse as it’s not how it should be. I’ll feel better tomorrow (well after a serious shower I will hahaha) seeing what’s under all this useless fluff.

So thanks you I do give him everything I can, just as well I don’t drink or smoke and despite having a decent paying job these days the shifts i get doing security at music gigs are a really helping with his bills.

Reactions: Bodshi
I see what you mean about the coat. It's not doing its job is it.
I love the muddy face, I like mine to have some filth so I know she is rolling. I always think rolling is a good sign in a horse, feeling ok to get down and get back up.

So the old bugger is clipped. He was his usual
Good to clip self until we came to the 2/3cmwode band behind his ears :rolleyes: we have an agreement that I do up to this point then I go to his face and clip half of that off the I go back to the bit usuing the head piece of the head collar as a buffer. Well not today.

Today I got tossed around the stable like a rag doll, he got his bottom smacked and the twitch came out, for all of four mins including the minute you leave it to take effect. He’s a to$$er.

So here he is before and after and the trashed stable.

756F4437-197E-4617-BCB3-3F24A1D406B1.jpeg C0FC77A2-8081-415B-8557-BB29CF0C7C9B.jpeg 3184A91B-DDDE-4354-B55F-428B718E7A55.jpeg AA495CD4-E2BC-42AD-81C6-FB05DEF5177F.jpeg 011ED0B6-5013-4CA3-989E-A00C6E65F115.jpeg 2C2D884E-D28C-45C6-A726-E2C17E3AD5E4.jpeg

Must be the weather. I got a mini rear which equated to but I cant this way its fine that way though.

He looks so much better clipped.

We had similar struggle with ~Tess last year, this year we got the Rug on early but at 27 now we still struggle to keep the weight on her, shes looking her age bless her, she has COPD so this is a contributing factor, but she's eating her bucket feeds & meds, has a field full of grass to go at, her rug on to keep warmth in, not running around the field anymore, gentle old aged plod nowadays, has her companions, shes always happy to see us and seems content with her lot - we are constantly checking her under her rug, hides a multitude of sins , and weightape once a week, we said after the trouble we had last winter we would let her have summer and then see how she went not sure if she would make another winter, so far she is- she will be having a Vet check in January when they come out to Gem - love the old girl to bits, we have had her 25 years now and none of us are looking forward to the day we have to let her go.

the clipped pics are pretty impressive I think - he really does look very presentable for a ned of his age - you are doing great with him, he is lucky to have you! I hope you told him so when he chucked his dollys out of the pram? :d But to be honest I think seeing a bit of spirit and attitude when they are getting older with health issues is a good and encouraging sign, just a pain in the butt to deal with! :D

For an older horse with all the things he has had going on with him I think he doesnt look bad at all in the clipped pics. Good on you for obviously loving him so much :)

His greying face gives him even more character, but I dont think I have ever seen a pic of him in his younger black days?

the clipped pics are pretty impressive I think - he really does look very presentable for a ned of his age - you are doing great with him, he is lucky to have you! I hope you told him so when he chucked his dollys out of the pram? :d But to be honest I think seeing a bit of spirit and attitude when they are getting older with health issues is a good and encouraging sign, just a pain in the butt to deal with! :D

Oh he was going to Tesco’s lol he knows where his bread is buttered the old sod!!

I think if I’d clipped him two weeks ago I don’t think he would have looked as good.

He is still clapped in behind and no top line but I’m hoping to start taking him hacks in walk a couple of times a week to help build this up :)

I think he looks much better clipped, his condition is better than I thought. Also he obviously isn't feeling sorry for himself if he's still up to tricks :)

I was surprised I have to say when I saw what was underneath the hair. His skin was terrible though, il have to get some more medicated shampoo for him as he had a good few scabby patches and a lot of scurf.

For an older horse with all the things he has had going on with him I think he doesnt look bad at all in the clipped pics. Good on you for obviously loving him so much :)

His greying face gives him even more character, but I dont think I have ever seen a pic of him in his younger black days?

Here you go :) with my Mum doing a common ride :)

D73D0A6A-179C-49D0-82BD-A5CAA0BC1269.jpeg B21BDEC7-1209-4F83-9C51-91A6161C5341.jpeg

Reactions: Aln and Tir
newrider.com