Twitchy nose

Sarah

Jan 13, 1999
Taunton, Somerset, England
hello!

Fora bout the last 3 or 4 days when i have got Tango in she has had a very twitchy nose, she keeps on moving her top lip around in the same way she would do to draw grass towards her mouth. She doesn't seem worried by anything when she does it, but sometimes rubs her nose on the barn wall after moving it about.

Has anyone any ideas why she is doing this or is it just because her nose is itchy?

bye!

how funny! sounds like just an itchy nose sarah! Have you tried rubbing her nose to see if it makes her feel better! Or possibly is she exhibiting a flehmen response (when they roll their top lip to snifff the air ) most commonly it's male horses, especially stallions, that do this, but any horse can if they smell a new or interesting smell - like polos!

hello!

Thanks for that reply, maybe it is just an itchy nose. I do rub her nose after it which doesn't seem to either top her or make her twitch it more.

It isn't a flehmem response that she is doing - it really is a grasping manoeuvre like when grazing. maybe it is just fun to do!

She is absolutely fine in all other aspects so i will just leave her to play with her nose if she wants to! Thanks for the reassurance that it wasn't likely her nose was about to fall off!

bye!

newrider.com