Twitching a pony

Laura82

Nov 28, 2017
Hey all could do with some opinions...

I've had my boy a month now and he was clipped when I bought him but now its growing out so due doing again. His last owner said he's fine to be clipped apart from his belly that he find tickly so easier to have someone to help me.

Unfortunately our YO is going to a new yard so we have a new one that's just started on Monday. I mentioned to her last night about William and her first thought was just to twitch him to get it done.

I don't know a whole lot about it apart from bits I've read online so any advice about this would be great!

Twicthing done well is a simple, effective way to manage a difficult situation, done badly it can cause permanent physical and mental damage, if you don't know how to do it, don't.

What she said!! If your YO knows how to use one then get her to do it, but if neither of you know how, it wouldn't be the best time to try!

I won't be doing it but what I may do is ask a friend of mine who has to twitch her pony for clipping to do it because she also knows my boy and he knows her which I think I would be more comfortable with.

Reactions: Jessey
If he can be clipped just with a 2nd person holding him as the previous owner suggested I would opt to ask your friend to do that :) but ask her to bring her twitch just in case :)

That's what I'll go with. Even though I loaned horses for long enough its a whole new thing when they are your own lol

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
That's what I'll go with. Even though I loaned horses for long enough its a whole new thing when they are your own lol
That's for sure, it can be quite a shock :p most horses that have tickly bellies tend to kick with a back leg, holding up a front leg and being firm with the clippers is often enough to get the job done, but wear your hat if you are sticking your head down there to see what you are doing :)

newrider.com