Dismiss Notice

Hi, we hope you enjoy looking around New Rider. We are a very friendly board so don't feel afraid to ask your questions. Register now, say 'Hello' and join in the conversations.

Trotting problems

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by roxzie 02, Feb 12, 2018.

1. roxzie 02

roxzie 02 New Member

I have a young horse who is really good at working in an arena but when it comes to riding out on road in trot she goes into trot as soon as the horse in front sets off and then gets up the horse in front bottom. This is not a problem to the horse in front as she is used to this with other horses but I do not like it. If it was another horse I did not know I could get kicked ect. No matter what commands she is give she ignores to get to horse in front. If she is in front we have no issues but she cannot be in front all the time. She needs to learn to be in the middle as well as at the back. Does any one have any advise on how I can stop her from just taking off in trot and then going up the bottom of the horse in front. We have no issues in any other gait. I would love to take her on social rides but won,'t till I sort this issue out. She is 6 this year backed as a 4year old.

2. Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Ziggy Learning together!

Well done for wanting to sort it.

I have a 17 yo pony who still does this. Me and my RI are retraining him and it's a long job. You have to train the horse to respect your aids, so that stop means Stop! With Ziggy we are working on his own first, so that he ALWAYS stops AT ONCE when you ask him. Then once it's solid I will take him out in company and if he pulls - at any gait - it'll be stop and take a step back, no matter how frustrated he gets.

roxzie 02 likes this.
  3. newforest

newforest Why have grain, when you can have yummy grain

Have you ridden beside the other horse so neither are front or behind?

4. Advert Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. Bodshi

Bodshi Well-Known Member

Is she nervous on the roads? It sounds as though she's relying on the other horse for comfort rather than taking her lead from you. In which case I think doing what @Jane&Ziggy suggests is a good idea. Something else it might be worth trying is the 'passing game' - @Skib in here suggested it to me a long time ago. You take it in turns to trot past the horse in front, the idea being that your horse has to wake up and listen to you rather than settling into a comfort zone with the other horse. Good luck :)

6. Jessey

Jessey Well-Known Member

If she is happy to hack out alone, I would bring her back to walk every time she rushes to catch up, once quiet, resume trotting. I wouldn't practice on roads though as there could be a toys out of the pram moment as the other horse moves away. If she's not confident alone I would start working on that as it will no doubt improve her confidence when a safety blanket is there.

7. roxzie 02

roxzie 02 New Member

No but it is worth a try. Next ride I will try this and see what happens. Thank you

8. roxzie 02

roxzie 02 New Member

She is not nervous on the road, I think she likes to be in front and is happy leading. You cannot be in front all the time so she needs to learn to be in middle as well as at the back. If she is leading you can slow her down or push her on and she responds but when in middle or back as soon as horse in front goes into trot she takes off. Not heard of the passing game but happy to give it a go. If it works I will be very happy. Thank you for the advise.

Bodshi likes this.
  9. roxzie 02

roxzie 02 New Member

Thank you for advise will act upon what you have said

The FREE site for selling smallholdings, farms and rural properties